Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Night Teeth - A Vampire Movie Lacking the Intensity & Violence but Aided by the Charming Lead Cast

While I was enjoying the first staycation with my wife after more than a year of staying at home, I noticed there was a new movie released on Netflix. This time around, the hotel that we stayed in had a smart TV in our room, which enabled me to watch it on the large screen TV since I could connect it with my tablet easily. Well what was the movie all about? Let's find out more.

Brief Story Line

Benny (Jorge Lendeborg Jr. - Bumblebee etc) was a college student who like to take on part time jobs. So when his older brother Jay (Raúl Castillo - Army of the Dead etc) was unable to work on his shift as a chauffeur, Benny did his best to convince him to take over the responsibility. When he met with the persons who originally hired Jay, Benny was immediately attracted to Blaire (Debby Ryan - Insatiable TV series etc) although he did not really like her friend Zoe (Lucy Fry - Vampire Academy etc).

As Benny drove around the two women across Los Angeles, he later found out that they were not the normal party hoppers but actually vampires who were turned by their leader Victor (Alfie Allen - The Predator etc).

So what would happen to Benny who was caught up in the middle of the vampires power struggle? Find them all in this movie.

End of Brief Story Line

To be honest, I was interested in watching this movie because of the trailer, as it showed a normal guy who worked as chauffeur and found out he has been driving around two vampires all night. It certainly intrigued me on what would happen to him. And as I started watching, I thought the lead cast Jorge Lendeborg Jr. was really perfect in his role. He certainly has the charm and was convincing as this young man who was attracted to a woman out of his league. Btw, I did not recognize him as that boy in Bumblebee as he looked more mature here.

As I continued watching, I thought the film was made entertaining because of him and his relationship with Blaire. I felt they had good chemistry and that scene in front of the night club was just pure fun to see. Unfortunately though, as a movie supposedly suspenseful with power struggle in the vampire world and also the fights with vampire hunters, it lacked the intensity. I think it was due to the vampire killing parts were kept to minimum and very little were shown when they had the fights. It was unlike a vampire movie that is usually filled with brutal & violent scenes. This one felt more like horror comedy.

The cast were actually quite diverse and some of them were pretty well known. Alfie Allen who played as Victor was a familiar face especially if you are a fan of Game of Thrones TV series. In addition to the names I mentioned above, there were also the appearances of Alexander Ludwig (Bad Boys for Life etc), Sydney Sweeney (The Voyeurs etc) and Megan Fox (Teenage Mutants Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows etc). However, their onscreen presence were too brief to make any impact. 

I actually quite like this movie especially when it involved Benny. However, I thought the film was a bit unbalanced between Benny's story and the vampires story + action, especially when we were not shown the important fights. It's actually a bit weird seeing the director Adam Randall was experienced in directing a psychological thriller that I really liked titled I See You. It's probably due to the writings which was done by Brent Dillon who did not have any writing credits previously (at least according to the movie database). 

Regardless though, the story itself was pretty unique and I liked the ending which to me was satisfying. And the music/songs were mostly nice and fitting with the movie. It has a duration of 108 minutes without any mid or post end credit scene. So if you are interested in watching violent vampire movies filled with blood soaked killings, this one would not be to your liking. But if you want to see something fun, then this probably would be enjoyable to you, like it did to me, although personally it would be much more entertaining had there been more actions. 

Mike's movie moments rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment