Monday, October 11, 2021

(TV SERIES) What If...? Season 1 - Unique and Interesting Series with Some Well Animated Action Scenes

For around 2 months, this series has been playing on Disney+ which seemed intriguing and also set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but with a bit of a twist. The first season finale was shown last Wednesday and I just started watching it during the weekend & finished it yesterday. All right, I'll get to the interesting part now.

Brief Story Line

The Watcher (Jeffrey Wright - No Time to Die, The Hunger Games movies etc) was a mysterious being whose main activity was watching over the whole multiverses. As a watcher, he never interfered at all and became the witness of everything that happened in the various universes.

The first episode was focusing on the story of Captain America's origin in one of the universe, where instead of Steve Rogers, it was Agent Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell - Christopher Robin etc) who got injected with the serum. And what happened afterward was something completely surprising. 

The subsequent episodes explored on various other scenarios involving different characters.

End of Brief Story Line

This is the first Marvel Studios animated series and it was also an anthology series that told different stories in each episode. It has a very unique premise as it showed us what would happen if certain major moments had occured in different ways. Frankly I was not really that satisfied with the pilot episode. Yes, it was unique, but somehow it did not really excite me. Plus when I noticed that certain characters were not voiced by the original cast from the movies, I felt it was a bit lacking. No offence to the voice actors/actresses but I would have preferred it more if everyone was voiced by the original cast.

However, since the episode was only like half hour or so, I continued watching with the hope to see more interesting stories. And the second episode was pretty good with the surprise voice of the late Chadwick Boseman as one of the characters. That episode also felt lighter with nice humor. And so I went on watching the whole 9 episodes quite fast because of the short durations. I also grew to like the subsequent episodes better with more and more characters appearing. Btw, aside from Iron Man/Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanoff, Captain Marvel, Peter Quill and very few others, the rest were voiced by the original cast, making it more satisfying to me personally.

After completing the whole 9 episodes, there were some which I did not really like and some became my personal favorites. I like the 4th episode about Doctor Strange which despite being very dark, it was also quite beautiful. I also like the 7th episode about Thor which was very light and funny. Oh episode 8 was really great with strong dramatic moments, cool action scenes and an amazing ending. But my most favorite has got to be the 9th episode which was very entertaining and brilliantly wrap up the first season. There was also a mid end credit scene in this episode, the only time it had one of those. The ones that I dislike were episode 5 and 6 which somehow felt boring to me.

One thing that I like about this series was the animation. It might not be the beautiful type but the similarities with the characters were pretty astounding. The action sequence was also fantastic. There were many times where the action were super intense and spectacular. Episode 8 & 9 had some of the most entertaining action scenes. The background music was pretty good in general. 

As a standalone series, this one is indeed unique and interesting. However, if there is no connection of this series with the story line in the main universe, I probably would not be totally invested in it and I might not even really miss it even if I had not watched it. So unless it is going to have a tie in in the future of MCU, it might not be a really recommended series from me, since it does tend to be more complex and has a darker tone compared to Marvel's other movies/series. But if you are a major fan of anything produced by Marvel Studios, then definitely give it a try as likely you would enjoy it.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment