Thursday, October 28, 2021

Hypnotic - Not Bad for a Psychological Thriller

Yesterday, this new movie was released on Netflix which made me truly intrigued, since it has an interesting premise. Without further ado, I'll get right to it.

Brief Story Line

After experiencing some heavy personal problems, Jenn Tompson (Kate Siegel - Hush, The Haunting of Hill House TV series etc) was feeling really stressed out. So her best friend Gina (Lucie Guest) introduced Jenn to the hypnotherapist that she had been seeing named Dr. Collin Meade (Jason O'Mara - Departure TV series etc) to feel better. Despite her early reluctance, Jenn still gave it a try and it looked like the treatment was working.

However, Jenn started to feel something weird. And after an incident, she sought more information from Detective Wade Rollins (Dulé Hill - Locked Down etc).

So how would the story conclude? Find them all in this psychological thriller.

End of Brief Story Line

Well that was a bit unexpected. When I started watching the movie, it has a nice beginning which I thought was a good set up for what would come next. The subsequent event was the usual standard introduction to the characters and to my surprise, it did not take very long to get to the interesting part. Usually psychological thriller tend to be slow burn, so it was pleasing for me with the quick change of pace.

Despite having only 1 hour 28 minutes, the directors Matt Angel and Suzanne Coote (co-director of The Open House) did a decent job in making sure the time was utilized efficiently. Which is why I found myself to be enjoying this film more than I thought I would. Although it might not have a totally brilliant script, but as a whole, the movie was still quite OK to my opinion. The writer Richard D'Odivio had a bit of experience in writing few Hollywood movies such as The Call, The Forger, Exit Wounds etc.

The cast of the movie did their job adequately. I was familiar with Kate Siegel after watching her in Midnight Mass TV series and Jason O'Mara in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D TV series. But the one that caught my attention was certainly Dulé Hill. Seeing him acting so serious and having beard made him looked very mature and completely different from his goofing around character in Psych TV series. Even my wife who I showed glimpse of his face could not recognize him. The rest of the cast had very brief screen time and did not have too much effect to leave good impression. 

Overall this one was not bad for a psychological movie. OK some of the twists might be quite easy to guess if you have watched enough similar films to be familiar with the pattern, but I felt they were still sufficient to make me enjoy it. And even if it did not have a brilliant ending, I thought it was pretty satisfying. Oh before I forgot, there was no mid or post end credit scene here. So if you just want to see a light psychological thriller that did not need you to rake up your brain, then this one might entertain you. But if you seek an intelligent, dark tone, slow burn with shocking unpredictable twists, then I do not think this would give you the satisfaction.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment