Tuesday, April 7, 2020

I See You - One Well Crafted Psychological Thriller with Multiple Twists that would Truly Shock Audience

Last night there was a new movie that premiered on Fox Movies which I never heard of, but when I saw the very brief synopsis on it, I was really intrigued. And so when the film finally showed at 8PM, I poured my attention to this interesting movie. OK, I'll just get on with it now.

Brief Story Line

Jackie (Helen Hunt - Twister, As Good As It Gets etc) was having a strained relationship with her husband Greg (Jon Tenney - The Closer TV series) and their only son Connor (Judah Lewis - The Babysitter etc) due to something she did before. They lived in a big house which for some reasons started to have strange things happening without proper explanation.

Meanwhile Greg was appointed as lead detective partnering with Officer Spitzky (Gregory Alan Williams - Baywatch TV series etc) in the case of a young boy's disappearance which seemed to be related with similar cases from the past. 

While time running out for the missing boy to be saved, Greg and his family were also caught up in the mystery surrounding their home. So how would the story conclude? Find them all in this highly entertaining movie.

End of Brief Story Line

Well this was unexpected. At first I thought this movie would be the usual horror movie which gave some really creepy and eerie feeling from the start. The feeling was totally enhanced by the amazing background music which made me feel anxious (I did not realize it until my wife who was doing her own thing and sitting beside me asked if the movie was scary as I think I had given slight anxiety sense to her). Anyway that was what I liked about the early part.

And then came something that totally shocked me. It was really fantastic stuff that blew my mind. From that moment onward I looked at the movie from totally different perspective and it just made me felt in awe with how intelligent the movie maker in doing so. I think the director Adam Randall did a marvelous job in directing this movie. It was probably one of the best horror thriller I have ever seen in the past few years (not counting that multiple award winning Korean movie Parasite which to me was still the best).

Now what I admired the most was that the slow build up and the story angle shown which should make me able to guess the outcome, still managed to shock me more than once. The multiple twists in here were great and I believed the misdirection could not have been done successfully if not for the intelligence of the director and the editing department. The final part though, was not too satisfactory to me as I personally felt it was a bit forced, but as an entire film it was still really entertaining.

This movie even though was classified as horror, but I thought it was more like a psychological thriller. There were plenty of thrills and some eerie feeling with one or two jump scare scenes but no really horrifying images. The cast I thought did adequate job in here. Oh aside from those names mentioned above, there were also additional cast who were equally important i.e. Libe Barer as Mindy and Owen Teague as Alec. 

For a movie that has duration of only 96 minutes, I thought it was the perfect length. There was no overly long drama or too much complicated stuff. Overall I thought this was a very intelligent movie that captivated me for almost the entire time. It was a bit of surprise that such good film did not have a wide release and sadly it was not shown in Indonesian theaters as well cause it would probably be nice seeing it in theater with good sound effects. This is truly a hidden gem, one movie that probably would have eluded me had I missed the info on Fox Movies. So if you are currently staying at home and have access to this cable TV channel, be sure to catch this one. It would be really worth your while if you are fans of such genre. 

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment