Sunday, October 31, 2021

Voyagers - Interesting Enough for Space Adventure Thriller Movie

I just realized there was this new movie on Catchplay+ on Saturday morning. It was a movie that I read sometime ago which intrigued me, but I was unable to see it when it played in Indonesian theaters. OK, I'll dive right to it then.

Brief Story Line

When some astronomers found a distant planet in 2063 which was habitable for humans, the scientists decided to send some crew to colonize it as backup for the dying earth. However, as it would take 86 years to reach the said planet, they came up with a plan of sending young crews who would live inside a spaceship called Humanitas, where they would breed so their grand children would be able to reach the location. A crew of 30 young children were later sent in Humanitas and they were accompanied by one of the scientists named Richard (Colin Farrell - DumboAva etc).

After 10 years, the crews had already become teenagers and they were led by Chief Technician Zach (Fionn Whitehead - Dunkirk etc) who was best friends with Christopher (Tye Sheridan - Ready Player One, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse etc) and also the Chief Medical, Sela (Lily Rose-Depp - Yoga Hosers etc). Unfortunately, an incident occurred on Humanitas which would endanger the whole mission.

So what would happen to the crews? Find them all in this interesting science fiction movie.

End of Brief Story Line

It has been quite a while since I watched space sci-fi movie, and funnily enough, just few days ago I was thinking of looking for TV series of this genre. So the release of this film in Catchplay+ could not have come at a more perfect time. Anyway, as I watched this movie, I felt it has an interesting premise. At first though, I thought it was going to be some kind of alien type of film. But as I continued watching, I realized that it was a bit more like psychological thriller with the background on space.

To be honest, I did read few comments on the movie which was not really kind, especialy by critics. After watching the movie till finished though, I thought they were a bit too harsh. I am not sure why they were unhappy with it, since I myself actually enjoyed it. I thought the premise was quite fully developed, and the young actors and actresses did their job adequately. They were pretty convincing playing teenagers whose life changed abruptly after years of living in a confined space.

The 3 lead cast who were quite well known were pretty decent to my opinion, with Fionn Whitehead in particular excelled as the character Zach who was the most colorful one. Other than them, there were some supporting cast as well who played as the crew members, such as Chanté Adams (Roxanne Roxanne etc) as Phoebe, Isaac Hempstead Wright (Game of Thrones TV series etc) as Edward, Quintessa Swindell (Trinkets TV series etc) as Julie, Archie Madekwe (Midsommar etc) as Kai and few others. Their presence were quite critical to make the story more engaging.

The film's pace was a bit slow but somehow it did not feel boring. Probably because it reminded me a bit of The 100 TV series, although that one has got more action. Oh the thing I liked the most in here was the characters development were not too far fetched and seemed realistic enough, plus it did not take too long to get to the interesting part. I also liked the intensity and suspense here, even if it might not be up to the calibre of other popular and critically acclaimed sci-fi space adventure movies. And finally, the ending which was quite satisfying for me. The movie has a duration of 108 minutes without any mid or post end credit scenes. There were brief sexual violence and strong sexuality which explained the rating in Indonesia was 17+.

Overall this movie was not half as bad as the comments on the internet. I myself did enjoy this one. It might not be a classic or win any awards, but it was still pretty entertaining. It's directed by Neil Burger whose prior works included Limitless, The Illusionist, Divergent and some others. Btw, it's said that the film was a futuristic version of the 1954 novel Lord of the Flies written by William Golding which has been adapted into movies in 1963 and 1990. So if you are looking for a movie with this kind of attributes, then you are welcome to give it a try. It's available on Catchplay+ with no additional fee.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment