Tuesday, October 19, 2021

(TV Series) My Name - An Entertaining Revenge-Driven Series with Plenty of Well Choreographed Fight Scenes

I watched the trailer to this series few times on Netflix before and thought it looked very interesting. But I did not realize it was a series until my wife told me so. As I already had plans for other movies on different platform and in the cinemas, I only started to watch this one on Sunday night & finished it last night. So let's get started now.

Brief Story Line

Yoon Ji-woo (Han Soo Hee - The World of the Married TV series etc) was the daughter of a gangster who was murdered by an unknown assailant. She wanted to get revenge on the killer and sought the help from her father's old friend & a powerful gang leader Choi Mu-jin (Park Hee-soon - Seven Days etc). Despite the objection from his right hand man Tae-ju (Lee Hak-joo - Sweet Munchies TV series etc), Mu-jin still decided to train her. 

Ji-woo later infiltrated the police force and partnered with Jeon Pil-do (Ahn Bo-hyun - Itaewon Class TV series etc) working under their captain Cha Gi-ho (Kim Sang-ho - The NegotiationSweet Home TV series etc). As member of Mu-jin's organzation, Ji-woo had to be very careful to avoid being found out, while trying her best to find his father's killer.

So how would the story conclude? Find them all in this exciting action thriller series.

End of Brief Story Line

As I said above, what interest me from the series was the plot and also the trailer which suggests lots of action. And in this part, the series did deliver. There were plenty of action and fight scenes in almost every episode, with some quite brutal as they were life and death type of fights. I like most of them as they were generally well choreographed. What actually surprised me though was the ability of the lead cast Han Soo-hee in performing those fight scenes (although some of them likely were by the stunt double), especially since her past well known experience were playing in drama/romance roles.

The plot itself was pretty interesting, although there was a bit of strong Infernal Affairs (or its Hollywood remake The Departed) feel, in particular the planting of mole in the police department. Ji-woo's focus of finding out who murdered her father was not only the main focus here, but also her dilemma as part of the police force. And there were quite a number of twists here as well, though it might not be too shocking if you are accustomed to this kind of story.

Aside from Han Soo-hee, the other lead characters were generally OK. My favorite was actually Park Hee-soon who was very convincing as the charismatic gangster boss (my wife also liked his performance). Yes, she is also watching this series but we each have our own pace & I managed to complete this one earlier than her, though likely she would finish it by today anyway. Kim Sang-ho who was the only face that I was familiar with as he appeared in many of the South Korean movies/series I have watched, was pretty decent too. There was also the appearance of Chang Ryul as one of the gang members named Do Gang-jae who really suit his part. 

This series was only having 8 episode with duration of 45 minutes to almost 1 hour, so it was not long and could be finished very quickly. My most favorite episodes would be episode 6 and the finale. By the time I wrote this post, there was no information if this is actually a limited series, but even if it's finished and there is no second season, I am pretty satisfied with the ending. For a series about revenge, this one was enjoyable enough. It is a combination of the investigation of the killer, the personal moral struggle, lots of quite awesome fight scenes and even a bit of romance. It also has a nice enough soundtrack titled My Name sung by Hwang Sang Jun featuring Swervy, Jeminn though it was not too catchy for me. So if you like these kind of attributes in a series, then likely you would be entertained by this one.

Happy watching!

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment