Wednesday, July 14, 2021

(TV SERIES) Loki Season 1 - Quite Fun and Interesting Series of the Favorite God of Mischief

Today, the finale of this series' first season was released on Disney+ and I immediately watched it once I had the opportunity to do so. Like in previous MCU series, I purposely waited for the week of the finale to be shown, before watching all the previous episodes. That way I did not have to wait impatiently every week for new episode. All right, let's get started.

Brief Story Line (warning possible spoiler)

During the events of Avengers: End Game, Loki (Tom Hiddleston - Kong: Skull Island, The Night Manager TV series etc) who used the Tesseract was somehow transported to a mysterious location. But he would soon be captured by the Time Variance Authority (TVA) troops led by Hunter B-15 (Wunmi Mosaku - The End of the F**king World TV series etc). 

Considered as a Variant, Loki was offered a deal by agent Mobius (Owen Wilson - Bliss, Sanghai Noon etc) to assist TVA capturing other variants. Despite her reluctance, judge Renslayer (Gugu Mbatha-Raw - Motherless BrooklynBeauty and the Beast live version etc) decided to agree with Mobius proposal.

So what would happen to Loki? Find them all in the first season of this new series.

End of Brief Story Line

OK, to be honest, the early part of the first episode felt a bit weird to me, but as it progressed, I found myself to be enjoying more as there were some humor involving Loki. And when he met with Mobius, the story felt really alive. Their relationship was one of the highlight of the first season, especially looking at Loki and Mobius bantering with one another.

When I reached the second episode, I felt the story was moving in an interesting direction. With the appearance of new cast Sophia di Martino (Casualty TV series etc) as the mysterious but later on lively character, the story became more exciting. I was totally surprised by her character in a really good way. Because of her, Loki experienced a really amazing character development. Aside from Sophia, there were also other additional persons as part of the main cast, i.e. Eugene Cordero (Tacoma FD TV series etc) as Casey and Tara Strong (Pretty Hard Cases TV series etc) as the voice of Miss Minutes.

Once I reached the 4th episode titled The Nexus Event, I was already hooked by it. That episode for me was the best in the whole first season with the excitement, the intensity, the humor and best of it all was the suspense during the last 5 minutes or so. It reminded me of the extraordinary war movie 1917. So if you have seen that one, you will know what I meant. Oh and this 4th episode was also the only one that has mid credits scene. 

The 5th episode was pretty exciting and to me was actually quite hilarious. But what I would remember strongly of this episode was the strong ending it had which was to set up a should be great finale. Unfortunately though, the season finale to me personally did not really deliver. It was totally not what I expected and frankly a bit boring with too much monologue, even if it did give a surprising mind bending information. However, because of the so much anticipation from the 5th episode, it became anti-climactic for me. The final scene did not give me too much of excitement either, just a bit of curiosity of how the story would continue in second season.

Nevertheless, as a whole, this series was still fun. It has some light moments and also nice to watch Loki's character developed so much in 6 episodes. The special effects like all MCU movies were good and I also like the characters of Agent Mobius and the one portrayed by Sophia di Martino. But the disappointing finale (at least for me, as the episode was one of the top rated by audience) kept me from appreciating the series more. In addition, it did not seem the series would have any significance to the MCU phase 4 storyline. But I could be wrong as I am not a huge comic book reader and might not know much about a new villain should he/she appear. So if you prefer more action, then Falcon and the Winter Soldier would be better suited, or if you like weird with beautiful love story, then I think Wandavision is better option. But if you just cannot get enough of Loki, then this one is perfect for you! 

Mike's movie moments rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment