Saturday, March 6, 2021

(TV SERIES) Wandavision - A Unique & Interesting Mini Series to Kick Off MCU Phase 4

I originally wanted to wait till the series has completed before I watch the full show from first episode. But I just could not do so and opted to see the first 8 episodes last weekend and watched the finale last night. So now I could finally write my opinion of this series.

Brief Story Line

Set not long after the events of Avengers: End Game, Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen - Wind River, Ingrid Goes West etc) and her husband Vision (Paul Bettany - Solo: A Star Wars Story, Wimbledon etc) were living in the suburb. However, in order to live their normal lives, Vision had to conceal his real face and worked in an office under his boss Mr. Hart (Fred Melamed - A Serious Man etc) whose wife Mrs. Hart (Debra Jo Rupp - That 70's Show TV series etc) was very friendly.

In addition, there was also a nosy neighbor named Agnes (Kathryn Hahn - Bad MomsSpider-man: Into the Spider-verse etc) who frequently came to Wanda's house and another neighbor named Geraldine (Teyonah Parris - Dear White People etc). 

So what was the real reason for Wanda and Vision living the suburban life? You could find them all in this interesting mini series.

End of Brief Story Line

To be honest when I watched the trailer to this series before it was released, I had my doubts because it seemed weird watching Wanda and Vision living in the suburb, set in the 1950s era sitcom no less. But as I continued watching, I found the sit-com to be genuinely funny and interesting to watch, with a little bit of curiosity on what was happening which was revealed little by little.

But not until I reached the 4th episode that I started to understand and have a better guess on how the story would continue. It became more and more interesting, especially when new people that we were familiar with came into the picture. There was even a surprise appearance of one character which I thought was intelligently "inserted" and would make fans of another comic book franchise happy.

What makes the series exciting for me was the character Wanda (whom I thought took a more central stage here than Vision) grew from just a seemingly one of the supporting heroes in early MCU movies to a real strong personality. Those who are familiar with her (probably read her comic book as well) would have loved her in here. Even critics were also praising Olsen and Bettany's performance in the series. Kathryn Hahn and few other stars who showed up in latter episodes certainly make the series more alive too. One other unique thing was during some of the episodes, there was a commercial shown like when we were watching real sit-com. If you look into the commercials closely, you would notice they were all referencing to certain MCU's attribute.

A superhero series would not have been interesting if there was no villain at all. I love that the series manage to give a surprise twist that set up for a grand finale. Yes, of all the 9 episodes, I loved the series finale best because of the lovely conclusion it provided, not to mention an intriguing mid-end credit scene and obviously that post-end credit scene. So you definitely don't want to miss that. Oh before I forgot, from 7th episode there was a mid end credit scene as well which was important to understand better the subsequent episodes.

The special effects were great like what we would see in Marvel superhero movies. Each episode roughly was a little under or over half hour, with episodes 8 & 9 longer (more than 40 minutes). I like the way they make the sitcoms felt like a tribute to famous shows during their time such as Bewitched, The Lucy Show, Family Ties and Modern Family. The best thing I felt about the series was the way there was some kind of surprise almost at the end of every episode.

Overall this was a uniquely done series which felt more like a drama than superhero type. I could understand the critics love for the series while fans of anything about Marvel would always love whatever thrown at them. If you are one of those, then I think you would enjoy it. But if you prefer more actions, then I do not believe this one would satisfy you as there were not that many. However, watching this would give better understanding for the next phase in MCU story as after this Wanda/Scarlet Witch would show up in Doctor Strange 2.

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment