Sunday, July 4, 2021

No Sudden Move - Intriguing Movie with Amazing Story Telling though Sometimes a bit too Complicated

As I said in my earlier post, this weekend has been great for me since there were quite a lot of new movies/series released. This one was actually released on Thursday, but I only got the chance to watch it yesterday since this one felt a bit heavy and I prefer to watch it when it was a full holiday like on Saturday. Anyway, will go straight to it.

Brief Story Line

Three small time criminals, i.e. Curt Goynes (Don Cheadle - Ocean's 8 etc), Ronald Russo (Benicio Del Toro - Sicario: Day of the Soldado etc) and Charley (Kieran Culkin - Igby Goes Down etc) were hired by Jones (Brendan Fraser - Doom Patrol TV series etc) to do a simple job. The job was related to Matt Wertz (David Harbour - Sleepless etc) who worked in a major company, but it also impacted his wife Mary (Amy Seimetz - Pet Sematary 2019 version etc) and their children Matthew (Noah Jupe - The Undoing mini series etc) & Peggy (Lucy Holt).

This supposedly simple job though got more complicated and it became chaotic as it involved major crime bosses like Frank Capelli (Ray Liotta - Hubie Halloween etc) and Aldrick Watkins (Bill Duke - Commando etc). But worst part was when Detective Finney (Jon Hamm - Richard Jewell etc) came into the picture.

And how would the story conclude? Find them all in this interesting crime thriller movie.

End of Brief Story Line

So this was a movie that was intriguing from start to finish. Since the beginning we were already given a hint of how it would go. From the quick introduction of the main characters to the job they were supposed to do, all were done in a fascinating manner. I was hooked immediately and really wanted to know how it would end. Although there were times that I was a bit confused, but in general I could understand the whole story. However, there were also parts that I felt a bit too detailed, such as during the scene in the hotel suite towards the end which personally not interesting to me as it felt too complicated.

As a crime thriller set in Detroit in the 1950s, I felt it was created nicely. The settings, the make up and costume departments including the cars from that period were very well created and realistic. And the distinction between the colored and the white was also mentioned in here, though it did not make this movie shifted its focus to that particular issue. Oh there was one funny moment when Raymond met Curt for the first time.

Now what made me liked this movie was definitely the story telling. It was wonderfully done and as I said, made me really wanted to find out how it would end. For 115 minutes, my head was filled with various scenarios, and thankfully the ending was satisfying for me. There were one or two twists that could go either way, but I was OK with the ones they chose. Btw, the movie was directed by Steven Soderbergh, director of numerous successful and critically acclaimed films such as Erin Brokovich, Traffic, Magic Mike, Ocean's trilogy and many more. So in here we will witness once again how great he is in directing.

As a crime thriller/drama, there were not a lot of actions in here. But more than once there was quite graphic violence, which I believe was the reason it was rated R. Aside from the wonderful story telling, I thought the large ensemble cast did their job amazingly as well. In addition to the names above, there were also the appearance of Julia Fox (Uncut Gems etc) as Vanessa, Frankie Shaw (SMILF TV series etc), Craig muMs Grant (Oz TV series) in his final appearance in a movie and a surprise well known actor who only showed up towards the end. I enjoyed the performance of Cheadle and Del Toro and Noah Jupe who did great at such a young age.

Overall this is an intriguing crime thriller movie with wonderful story telling by a famous director, supported by the awesome performance by the cast. The feeling of wanting to know how it would end was the main attraction for me. I personally quite enjoyed the movie. But there were certain parts that I said was a bit too detailed and personally not to my liking, especially once I know the main reason for the simple job, even if it is a smart one. So if you are into this sort of movie, then it would be good to give it a try. Being an original HBO Max production, it is only available on HBO Max (and HBO Go in Asia). However, if you prefer action movies, then this one might bore you. The choice is yours.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment