Monday, July 26, 2021

Blood Red Sky - Highly Entertaining Combination of Plane Hijack with Surprising Horror Element

This is the third movie that I saw on Saturday to make up for not watching anything on Friday. It's a movie that intrigued me since the trailer was shown on Netflix. It looked really exciting with some cool looking actions and interesting premise. OK, why don't I start on it now.

Brief Story Line

Movie started with the arrival of a plane at Glasgow airport that was said to be hijacked. The army led by Col. Drummond (Graham McTavish - The Hobbit trilogy etc) were trying to negotiate with the suspected hijacker. Scene flash back to before the flight took off with Nadya (Peri Baumeister - The Last Kingdom TV series etc) and her son Elias (Carl Anton Koch) who were getting ready to board the plane. Nadya was having some blood related disease and wanted to leave from Berlin to New York for medication. Elias also made acquaintance with a scientist named Nadir (Kais Setti).

After a while in the air, some hijackers led by Berg (Dominic Purcell - Prison Break TV series, Primeval etc) managed to take over the plane. And so what happened during this flight and how it ended up landing at Glasgow? Find them all in this amazing action horror original movie from Netflix.

End of Brief Story Line

When I watched the trailer of this movie on Netflix, I thought wow this looks amazing. A hijacking on a plane with a horror twist (or at least that's what it looks like). So when I started watching it with such beginning, I was quite hooked and could not stop to take a break or anything for around 2 hours. It did not feel overly long to me, cause the story keep on developing wildly to various directions which made it all the more interesting.

Now this movie to me intelligently combine a plane hijacking story with unlikely heroic stuff done by one or more passengers and a classic horror element. All of them blend quite nicely from my personal views, resulting to a highly entertaining movie with some actions, intensity and even dramatic stuff. And that horror element, it is not the kind where it is romanticized in young adult novels/movies/series. It is violent and certainly fit the story here. Oh I also like the story telling which was done in an easily understood way despite using several flashback behind flashback. 

The suspense of this movie was quite high almost throughout the whole film and it had a truly wonderful conclusion to my opinion. The decent enough visual effects also helped in making this film enjoyable with some good sound effects. Btw the film's title was in English but it was from German's production house Rat Pack Filmproduktion, Although a lot of English were used during the film which was common in an international flight but the main language would be German. Btw there was no mid or post end credit scene in here.

The main stars of this film were definitely the young Elias (played wonderfully by Carl Anton Koch) and of course Peri Baumeister who was just awesome as Nadya. Oh and Dominic Purcell as bad guy? He still fit the profile, even if his latter roles were as good guys. Another person that impressed me was Alexander Scheer (Gundermann, Carlos TV series etc) as Eightball, who provided truly convincing performance.

Overall I thought this was something too good to be missed out on. If you like some of the attributes I mentioned above, I am sure you would like this film. Or alternatively you can see the trailer first if you want to know a bit of the movie, although I would not recommend if you are hard core spoiler hater, cause I think the trailer did reveal a bit too much, making the surprise/shocking element a bit lacking. Netflix already did a good job of hiding the plot in a one liner synopsis. But anyway, I think just give it a try. If you have read my previous posts, you would know my preference in a movie and should know if this fit to the category of movie you would have liked. The choice is yours.

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment