Monday, July 12, 2021

Run - An Efficiently Done Psychological Thriller Drama

Like any Saturdays in the past, I always check new movies released on HBO Go platform. This time, I saw a new movie that only has one sentence synopsis which did not provide me anything clear. So I checked a bit more details on the internet and found it to be justifiable for me to give a try. All right, let's get it on.

Brief Story Line

A single mother named Diane (Sarah Paulson - Glass, Ratchet TV series etc) had been taking care of her teenaged daughter Chloe (Kiera Allen) by giving her medications, eating organic food and home schooling her. While she anxiously await for her college application, Chloe continued her study and doing her usual stuff on daily basis.

One day though, Chloe found out something that made her started to suspect her mother might be hiding things from her.

So how would the story conclude? Find them all in this psychological thriller.

End of Brief Story Line

Well that was quite fun. It was surprisingly quite an effective psychological thriller film. Usually this type of genre would be very slow and takes long time to get to the point. However this movie did not dilly dally and went quite fast to the interesting stuff. I guess having a duration of only 89 minutes makes the director had to use the time efficiently. In case you are wondering, the movie was directed by Aneesh Chaganty whose directorial debut was the highly rated and one of my most favorites, Searching.

Like in other psychological thriller drama where the main cast consisted of very few characters, the movie would have to rely heavily on the strong performance of them. There is no denying of Sarah Paulson's ability to perform in such role, with numerous major nomination and awards in the past. So this type of characterization would not have been difficult for her. But the one who I thought excelled was actually Kiera Allen. I have never seen her before but her portrayal was truly spot on. She even got some accolades for her performance in here. Btw, when I read about her, apparently she was paralyzed since 2015 and using wheelchair. 

To be honest, I sometimes thought the story was too simple at first. However, behind this seemingly simple story, there was a bit of twist towards the end, with a truly surprising final moment before the closing credits. I think credits have to be given to the writers Sev Ohanian and Aneesh himself for their pretty intelligent writing. One thing that I felt missing was the suspenseful sense, even during the supposedly intense moment, not sure whether it was lacking the good background music or something. Anyway, all I can say is that I enjoyed the simplicity, the twist plus the efficiency of the directing, but I wish it had more intensity. So those of you who love this kind of genre and you trust what critics said completely, I have a feeling you would most likely love this.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment