Saturday, September 4, 2021

Vacation Friends - Fun Comedy with Some Humor that could Make Us Laugh Out Loud

I almost missed out on watching this movie which was released on Disney+ on Friday. But on Saturday while I was having regular car maintenance, I searched for movies that I could see while waiting. And there it was, a film which seemed raunchy enough to get me laughing. So let us go into this now.

Brief Story Line

Marcus (Lil Rel Howery - Good Boys, Bird Box etc) and Emily (Yvonne Orji - Insecure TV series etc) were having a week's vacation in Mexico. They met and befriended with a wild couple who just want to have fun named Ron (John Cena - Playing With FireThe Wall etc) and Kyla (Meredith Hagner - Search Party TV series etc). Though at first Marcus and Emily had reservations, they ended up having a wonderful time together. But they tried to forget everything once they returned to their normal day to day lives in Chicago.

Several months after the vacation, Marcus and Emily had their wedding party where Emily's brother Gabe (Andrew Bachelor - Holidate etc) and their father Harold (Robert Wisdom - Helstrom TV series etc) still dislike Marcus. To make matter worse, Ron and Kyla suddenly crashed the wedding party where most of Harold's rich friends and families were attending.

So what would happen to all of them? Find it in this comedy movie.

End of Brief Story Line

Well that was fun. It's been a while since I watched this kind of movie where the subject was not complicated and there were quite a lot of adult-oriented hilarious moments. I think I laughed hard few times in the waiting room, but lucky the place was having lot of activities with loud noise that my voice was covered in them. Otherwise people might be looking at me weirdly.

I liked this movie from the start, when we were introduced to Marcus and Emily, and all the things that they experienced. When they finally met Ron and Kyla for the first time, it was pretty funny as well. Somehow these 4 people played their roles nicely. While Lil Rey Howery is a comedian which should make it easy for him to be Marcus, John Cena was pretty awesome too. He did have experience playing more comedic roles, but this time it seemed he did so effortlessly. Meredith Hagner was also wonderful as Kyla, whereas Yvonne Orji was OK.

For a movie where the plot was so simple, I was quite happy that despite already knowing what to expect, there was still some small part that managed to surprise me. And even if I already knew the likely scenario of how it would end, the journey was still fun and entertaining. The only thing that I thought could make this more enjoyable for me personally would be to reduce the duration a bit as I think that 103 minutes including closing credit (which did not have any mid or post end credit scenes) was a tad too long. 

Btw, this movie was R rated (due to language and drug usage) and classified for 20+ by Disney+. Hence it was a pleasant surprise to see such kind of movie in this channel as it made it have more variety of movies to choose from. Overall this was a film where you could have a lot of laughs. It has an interesting story and the cast did quite amazing job to keep us entertained. I have few favorite scenes, but the one that I remembered I laughed hardest was the scene on the beach on their last day in Mexico involving beer bottle. So if you are looking for silly fun comedy & just pure laughter, then this would make an interesting choice. But if your preference is dark comedy or satire or intelligent humor, then this might not suit you.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment