Friday, October 9, 2020

Hubie Halloween - May not be His Best Work, but Still a Fun Movie from Adam Sandler

This movie was just released through Netflix and I got the chance to watch it last night. It starred Adam Sandler so I thought it would be good to have some fun. This was also one of those rare times that my wife had seen a film before me. OK, I'll get on with the movie now.

Brief Story Line

Hubie Dubois (Adam Sandler - Hotel Transylvania 3, 50 First Dates etc) was a very kind & simple minded person who has lived in Salem all his life with his mother (June's Squibb - Nebraska etc). He has made it his personal mission to make sure Halloween was safe for everyone by becoming self-appointed Monitor, though this action was not accepted by the townspeople, including Sgt Steve Downey (Kevin James - Paul Blart: Mall Cop, Pixels etc). However, Hubie's old crush Violet (Julie Bowen - Life of the Party, Modern Family TV series etc) was always supportive of his kind deeds.

On this year's Halloween, things became complicated when an inmate from psychiatric hospital escaped and headed for Salem, plus the appearance of Hubie's new strange neighbor Walter Lambert (Steve Buscemi - Con Air, Armageddon etc) who was acting suspiciously. 

So what would happen to Hubie and the town of Salem? Find them all in this horror comedy movie.

End of Brief Story Line

Well it has been a while since I had a lot of laughs watching comedy movie. I think this was quite on par with Adam Sandler's previous Netlfix comedy movie Murder Mystery. Obviously the appeal of this film was the typical Adam Sandler's humor and comedy. He played Hubie, a character that seemed to be created  to attract the sympathy of audience, especially with how he was ridiculed by everyone from the beginning. But we always knew how it would turn out for him. Now this character though, could also be less appealing for audience who do not like such characterization.

This time, Sandler once again team up with some people he had been working with like Kevin James (I Now Pronounced You Chuck & Larry), Steve Buscemi (Grown Ups), Tim Meadows (Jack & Jill) including brief appearance of Rob Schneider & Ben Stiller. In addition, there were also some support roles by Maya Rudolph (The Emoji Movie etc), Ray Liotta (Turbulence etc), Kenan Thompson (Fat Albert etc), China Anne McClain (Black Lightning TV series etc) and even Michael Chiklis (Fantastic Four etc) & Shaquile O'Neal. Btw, Sandler's wife and 2 daughters also appeared in this movie (which I only realized when my wife told me).

The story itself was not too complicated. It may not have the most original theme but the comedy was fun and enjoyable for me and my wife. There were quite a lot of moments where I could laugh out loud. My most favorite part in here was Hubie's thermos. Some familiar songs for me also played in the background and added the fun factor. Oh during the closing credits there were some bloopers that I also enjoyed.

Overall, this was more like a comedy rather than horror-comedy since there was nothing horrifying at all. Is this a wonderful movie? I hardly think so. But if you ask me whether I had fun watching it, I certainly would say yes. So if you are fans of Adam Sandler's comedy, I believe you should be able to enjoy it. But if you do not like his style, then it might not be to your liking. The choice is yours.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment