Brief Story Line
After the events of previous movie, Peter Parker aka Spider-man (Tom Holland - Unchartered, Spies in Disguise etc) had been saving New York city from various villains for several years all by himself while his girlfriend MJ (Zendaya - The Odyssey, Dune 2021 etc) and their best friend Ned Leeds (Jacob Batalon - The Wrecking Crew, Novocaine etc) had moved on with their lives as they had completely forgotten about his existence. During an attack aimed at Department of Damage Control led by its director Bill Metzger (Tramell Tillman - Mission: Impossible - The Final Reckoning, Severance TV series etc), Frank Castle aka Punisher (Jon Bernthal - The Accountant 2, Those Who Wish Me Dead etc) was also trying to help though with completely different method.
While neutralizing the attack, Peter found a much bigger and unknown but dangerous threat. As he tried to seek information, Peter found himself to be suffering from something affecting his body and sought advice from Dr. Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo - Crime 101, The Adam Project etc) to fix his potential problem. Things gotten a lot complicated for Peter when the mysterious enemy also threatened the lives of his loved ones.
So what would happen to Peter and how would the story conclude? You could find out in this movie.
End of Brief Story Line
And once again I was in awe of this latest Spider-man movie which was really good to my opinion. My wife and I enjoyed the film a lot as the story was wonderfully written and it has got a lot of amazing action sequence. From those awesome trade mark jumps all around New York city with some really great angle from Spider-man's point of view to those close-up soft landing on the roof top or everywhere else and those fights sequence that felt a bit more violent & intense plus of course the shocking revelation of the enemy.
Yes, I was indeed surprised to see the villain here as I never thought in a million years it would be that person which made it all the more exciting. I was delighted that I managed to avoid reading anything about this film on the news or social media that loved to give spoilers so the surprise revelation was totally felt by us. One thing that I also felt here was the rather dark tone as compared to all previous Tom Holland's Spider-man and at the same time it also felt much more mature. I thought it was very good and in line with what the 3 best friends had experienced in the past few years, especially its effects on Peter.
In term of special effects, they were still brilliantly done. I noticed during closing credits that some of them were by Industrial Light Magic. What I did not realized though was something I read after watching the movie where the Jackie Chan stunt team were also involved in here. No wonder some of the fight scenes looked really fantastic. Talking about credits, there was no mid end credit scene here except for a brief post-end credit scene which I guessed was to tease for Spider-man's future appearance. Oh there was also an Indonesian song titled "I Miss You Every Brand New Day" sung by a band from Bandung named for Revenge playing in the background.
The movie had several cast from previous MCU movies that I think better to let you see for yourselves. However there was one very important new addition of Sadie Sink (Fear Street Part 2: 1978, Stranger Things TV series etc) who played a character that was different from my earlier thought. There were also appearances of support cast like Liza Colón-Zayas (If, The Bear TV series etc) as New York's Detective Jean DeWolff who had been cooperating with Spider-man, Naomi Watts (The Watcher mini series, Mulholland Drive etc) as the voice of Peter's AI called E.V and several others. This time the film was directed by Destin Daniel Cretton (Wonderman mini series, Just Mercy etc) who took over from Jon Watts the director of previous trilogy. However it is still written by same writers Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers. Those three did awesome job in making sure this movie remained very entertaining.
Overall this was a truly wonderful superhero movie worthy of the praises by critics (even if it's not the highest rated in the many Spider-man films). It has all the ingredients of another major hit for Sony Pictures and obviously Marvel Studios. My wife and I were entertained by the action, the story, the drama & Peter Parker who we rooted for. We loved the ending and that scene before the closing credits was a great way to end. It also had few touching scenes that got my wife a bit emotional.
I read that this is intended to be the first of another Spider-man trilogy which made me excited for what's to come. There was one thing though that I was a little bit critical as I flet the noticeable missing of extreme violence by Frank Castle here. I understand that this is a PG-13 film but I personally thought it rather diminish the Punisher's specialty and brand even if we could see a different side of him here. In any case though, it did not make the movie less enjoyable. So if you love Spider-man, surely you do not want to miss this one. For me, it's the first MCU movie in recent years that made me look forward to the future story.
Mike's movie moments rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:
Post a Comment