Friday, July 31, 2026

(TV SERIES) Ride or Die Season 1 - An Entertaining Action Adventure Series with Solid Performance from the Cast and Interesting Story

While I was away on two weeks holiday with my wife, I only used my time sparringly watching series on various streaming services. This Prime Video original caught my attention and I decided to give a try in the middle of our trip & finished it in few days time. All right then, I'll just get started with the series.

Brief Story Line

Debbie (Octavia Spencer - The Witches 2020 adaptation, The Shape of Water etc), the wife of British Member of Parliament David (Jamie Parker - Valkyrie, The Crown TV series etc) had been best friends with forensic accountant Judith (Hannah Waddingham - The Woman in Cabin 10Lilo & Stitch live action adaptation etc) and went through a lot of things together. Unbeknownst to Debbie, Judith was actually a professional assassin working for organization led by The Director (Bill Nighy - ShelterThe Wild Robot etc) with her handler Sam (Calam Lynch - Benecition, Sweetpea TV series etc). 

After a mission involving the target Billy (Ed Skrein - Jurassic World: RebirthMidway etc) went wrong, Judith had no choice but to reveal her secret identity to Debbie which obviously constrained their relationship and ran off from the pursuit of dangerous people across Europe, including by a mysterious woman (Sylvia Hoeks - The Girl in the Spider's WebRenegades etc) hell bent on killing Judith and the Interpol agent Jacques (Jacky Ido - Inglourious Basterds, The Widow TV series etc). Meanwhile Sam with the help from tech specialist Queenie (Savannah Steyn - Good Boy, Intergalactic TV series etc) were trying to find out more on the people trying to kill Judith. 

So what would happen to Debbie and Judith? You could find out in this series.

End of Brief Story Line

When I started watching the series, I did not realize that I would be having a lot of fun. It started with an intense scene which surprised me as it was a pretty well executed action sequence despite being rather brief. Then the series switched to the introduction of the best friends which was what made it interesting. The friendship between Debbie and Judith was a joy to watch and they seemed to be best friends in real life. Obviously everything became exciting once the main plot started to be revealed and everything became even more fun to watch.

Throughout the series, we were not only shown the multiple action scenes (which were professionally done by the way), but also the dynamics of the characters involved. Though there were few twists supposedly to surprise us, none of them really shocked me. However they were a nice addition to the story development. Another factor that made this series enjoyable for me was the various wonderful locations like England (particularly London), Monaco, Spain and France. It also has a satisfying conclusion with a rather teasing ending that could easily be used as ideas for subsequent season should they chose to renew it. At the moment of my writing, there is no indication yet whether it would be renewed. 

This series would not have been entertaining without the solid performance of Octavia Spencer and Hannah Waddingham who had incredible chemistry. And to my surprise Hannah was able to perform the action part wonderfully. I read that she did most of the stunts herself! Other cast were amazing as well, like Ed Skrein whose character developed nicely and Bill Nighy as usual portraying character that suit him. In addition to the above, there were few support cast like Cathy Tyson (Mona Lisa, Help TV series etc) as Queenie's mother & master forgerer Mrs. Williams, Camille Chamoux (Lucky Luke TV series etc) as Jacques' boss Colette, Lazar Dragojevic (I Know Your Soul TV series etc) as Armanian mobster Spiro and several others. 

The show itself was created by Tessa Coates whose previous experience was playing small parts in few TV series and creator of Massive Dad sketch show. There was however a familiar name of Matt Miller as the showrunner and Executive Producer. He was the creator of TV series like Lethal Weapon, Forever, Grown Ups and several others. Other names credited as Executive Producer including Andy Muschietti (director of ItThe Flash etc) and her sister Barbara, Octavia & Hannah themselves and few others. Btw the first season only consisted the standard 8 episodes with duration of 48-55 minutes. Due to its solid writing and well directing, I was quite hooked by the series from the start which explained why it took me only few days to complete despite restricting myself to watch at nights in the hotel room.

In the end this is a rare quality action adventure series where you could enjoy the action, story with some good humor, performance of the cast and watching the lovely sceneries. Critics were impressed by the series too with very high approval rating while audience seemed to love it as well. And although it's been released for a little over 2 weeks, I still want to write about this series as I had great time watching it. So if you are in the mood for something like this, then by all means give it a try. I am sure you would enjoy it as much as I did.

Happy watching!

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment