Friday, June 16, 2023

The Flash - A Fun Ride of the Fastest Man Alive that should Satisfy Fans of DC comics

This movie has been one of my most anticipated films of the year as I am quite a major fan of Flash. And just like many blockbuster films in the past, it also had an Advance Ticket Sales program where I immediately asked my wife to buy them. Sadly I was unable to do so on its first day of release, but we did go on the second day last night. So how was it? Let's find out more, shall we?

Brief Story Line

Barry Allen/The Flash (Ezra Miller - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and its sequels, The Stand miniseries etc) who had been part of the Justice League was frequently asked to help other members like Batman (Ben Affleck - The Last Duel, The Accountant etc) in catching criminals and saving the world. While trying to help exonerate his father Henry (Ron Livingston - The Conjuring, Band of Brothers miniseries etc) for a crime he did not commit, Barry often reminisce the fond time with his father and mother Nora (Maribel Verdú - Pan's Labyrinth, Raymond & Ray etc). And for some reasons, Barry somehow managed to go back in time and changed the past against the advice from Bruce.

Unfortunately this action brought so much consequences as Barry arrived in a completely different timeline where there was imminent threat from General Zod (Michael Shannon - Amsterdam, The Current War etc) of Krypton and he could only seek the help from a different Batman/Bruce Wayne (Michael Keaton - Spider-man: Homecoming, The Protégé etc). Though later Supergirl/Kara (Sasha Calle - The Young and the Restless TV series etc) joined them, would it be enough to fight Zod's army?

So how would the story conclude? You could find out in this movie.

End of Brief Story Line

Well, I said above that I am a fan of Flash ever since the live action TV series in 1990 (starring John Wesley Shipp) was one of the rare superhero series which aired in Indonesia. It was further enhanced when he was adapted into new series in 2014 starring Grant Gustin and was part of the beloved Arrowverse. Which was why I was not too happy with the casting of Ezra Miller back then as I thought it should be Gustin. However, Miller did change my mind when I saw him in Justice League as he brought freshness to the movie and he suited the role nicely there. So obviously a movie about him with interesting plot would be a major attraction for me.

The focus of Flashpoint story arc (which was the plot of 3rd season of the 2014 series) was definitely a great choice as it opened up to tons of possibilities. I think it was a smart move to create different universe where other version of characters exist and could be utilized as soft reboot, especially now that they want to create new DC Universe (from originally DC Extended Universe). Those of you who follow closely on news about DC movies would know what I am referring to and I am sure fans would definitely appreciate the many easter eggs, cameos and appearance of some DC characters (my wife and I included). Oh just so you know, there was a person who showed up to our surprise, though I am not clear of how significant the impact would be in future DCU. 

The star of this movie would definitely be Ezra Miller whom I thought was amazing as he played Barry and The Flash. Michael Keaton was of course brilliant (my wife is a big fan of his version of Batman) though Michael Shannon was just so so. Sasha Calle whom I never saw before was OK enough as the bitter Kara/Supergirl, but her superpowers were enjoyable to watch. There were other cast as well, including Kiersey Clemons (Scoob!, Flatliners etc) as Iris West (though my wife and I felt she was not the perfect cast), Jeremy Irons (Watchmen TV series, Assassins Creed etc) as Alfred Pennyworth, Saoirse-Monica Jakson as Patty Spivot and Rudy Mancuso as Albert Desmond (both Barry's co-workers) and few other well known characters. I better let you find out yourself who they are. 

The action sequence especially in the opening scenes were totally awesome (again my wife was so entertained that she clapped her hands in the end). After that part, the movie slowed down a bit with the story of Barry and immediately became so fun and enjoyable after he went back in time and changed the timeline. Especially when he met the immature person who was a bit irritating to him (you would know who I meant once you see this). Many hilarious moments involving both of them. However, once the stakes were increased when Zod appeared, the story became more intense but the humorous tone was still apparent even in the unexpected moment (like when the Flash suit was "created").

The movie itself had a well done climax for me, with some interesting plot twists (which once again my wife was able to guess). Although there might be one or two minor holes in the overall plot but in general I was really satisfied. It was a truly fun ride and I definitely recommend this to all DC comics fans. You can even have nostalgia of seeing the older generation of Bat gadgets & vehicles. For a movie that has duration of 144 minutes including closing credits, this one was worth the time for us. Btw, there was a post end credit scene which felt like it was added just for fun (or maybe a hint of the future DCU?). The director Andy Muschietti (It Chapter Two, Mama etc) did a great job in making this movie entertaining. So if you like superhero movie that does require some thoughts, some light & dark moments with few emotional scenes, then this one would be enjoyable for you. 

Mike's movie moments rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment