Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Scoob! - Fun Movie that Managed to Bring Back Nostalgic Memories and Filled with Laugh Out Loud Moments

This is also one of the movies that I have been looking forward to be released on HBO Go. I think it was one of those that was supposed to be released in Indonesian cinemas but was cancelled due to the pandemic. So it was certainly nice thing to be able to watch it here. All right, let's just get on with it.

Brief Story Line

Shaggy (Will Forte - Good Boys, The Last Man on Earth TV series etc) and Scooby Doo (Frank Welker - The Smurfs etc) have been very best friends since childhood. Together with Fred (Zac Efron - The Greatest Showman, Hairspray etc), Daphne (Amanda Seyfried - Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, Red Riding Hood etc) and Velma (Gina Rodriguez - Smallfoot, Annihilation etc), they formed a detective agency called Mystery Inc. to investigate paranormal activities. However, due to some reasons, Shaggy and Scooby felt their presence no longer required and chose to separate themselves from their friends.

Shaggy and Scooby later were somehow pursued by a villain called Dick Dastardly (Jason Isaacs - Hotel Mumbai, Peter Pan etc) with his unknown intention. They also met with group of people who helped them and were entangled into something really big.

So how would the story conclude? Find them all in this entertaining movie.

End of Brief Story Line

Well this movie was just what I needed. I watched it during the weekend when there seemed to be some technical problem with my blog which really frustrated me. Luckily though by Monday the problem seemed to resolve itself and now my blog is normal again. Phew! Anyway, back to the film, it provided me with lots of moments where I could laugh quite hard due to various reasons, like Shaggy and Scooby's behaviors, the craziness of other characters and so on.

This film also brought so many nostalgic moments, especially the way Scooby and Shaggy love food so much, their antics of running around while being chased and obviously Scooby's ability to speak (although I think this time his dialogues were very clear. Or perhaps I was too young that time to understand). The only thing I thought was missing was Scooby's classic laughter which I sometimes used to tease my wife. Oh ya, my wife finally watch it yesterday and she had great time too.

As for the story though, I personally felt there was a bit of complexities, even though the classic mystery solving is still there. Probably there were too many additional characters involved. From what I read, these characters were created by Hanna-Barbera too, but the short-lived TV series in 1970s probably did not make it to Indonesian TV so I was unaware of them. However, these characters to me really provided color and best of it all, they were actually funny.

The film has a really large ensemble of voice cast. In addition to the people who played the Mystery Inc. members (Fun fact: Frank Welker has been voicing Fred Jones since 1969 and Scooby since 2002), there were also the talented voice of Mark Wahlberg, Ken Jeong, Kiersey Clemons, Christina Hendricks, even Simon Cowell and many more. All of them were truly suitable in their roles. With good quality computer animation and nice music it made me enjoy this film a lot. 

Overall I thought the movie was really fun and entertaining. There were lots of times we could definitely laugh, and even though there might be a bit of complexities with other characters, the combination of them blended nicely. Oh the writers even included one or two touching and inspiring moments that still managed to give us laughter. I also loved the way they showed Shaggy and Scooby's earlier moments when they were still a child and puppy. So if you want to see Scooby & friends in a modern day environment, then this one should be to your liking.  

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment