Saturday, June 17, 2023

Extraction 2 - An Entertaining Sequel to that Violent Movie with Some Brilliantly Done Action Sequence

When I fInd out this movie, which was sequel to an amazing full of action movie on Netflix was coming soon, I was eager to watch it as soon as it is released. So once I was ready last night, I immediately watch it. OK, will get right to it now.

Brief Story Line

After the events of the first movie, Tyler Rake (Chris Hemsworth - Thor: Love and Thunder, 12 Strong etc) was saved and kept in hospital for a long time, while his partner Nik (Golshifteh Farahani - My Father's Dragon, Paterson etc) and her brother Yaz (Adam Bessa - Harka, Mosul etc) were looking out for him. When Tyler was approached by a mysterious person (Idris Elba - The Suicide Squad, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 etc) to extract Ketevan (Tinatin Dalakishvili) and her two children Sandro (Andro Japaridze) & Nina (Miriam & Marta Kovziashvili) from a Georgian prison, he decided to come out of retirement as it was the request from his ex wife.

However, this task would obviously be dangerous as Tyler would have to face the prison guards, the countless prisoners and the ruthless criminal gang led by Zurab (Tornike Gogrichiani), the older brother of Ketevan's husband Davit (Tornike  Bziava) who was the one keeping the whole family in prison.

So how would the story conclude? You could find out in this movie

End of Brief Story Line

Oh my God, that was one heck of a movie filled with so many action sequence that was truly satisfying for fans of such action film like me. Just like in the original, we got to see that single shot sequence which was more superior, longer and so intense as it was done continuously from one place to another. It was simply brilliant work by the director Sam Hargreave (who also directed the original) which made sense as he was alread experienced in doing the same stuff. Plus I think he got bigger budget to make the special effects better.

When I finished watching the original 3 years ago, I already had a feeling that they would likely make a sequel as they certainly did give room for that possibility. So I was not really surprised when they announced it not so long after its release on Netflix. Although it did take 3 years to finally get it done, as I read it was delayed due to the pandemic. Anyway it was really worth the wait as I was truly entertained by the movie.

In term of plot, it was similar to the first film where Tyler Rake had to do an almost impossible task of extracting not one, or two but three people now. So the stake was definitely higher and more difficult. This time, there was a bit more background story of Tyler which was a nice touch as we got to know him better and could see him more as human than just killing machine. Other characters that reappeared here Nik and Yaz were also given more screen time as people who genuinely cared for Tyler. Additional cast Idris Elba was obvious going to have an important role in the future. Oh there was surprise appearance of well known actress towards the end (I am sure you would recognize her as she played in quite numerous films).

As I said above, this film's main attraction was the action sequence. That prison scene was totally my favorite and I think it become the trademark of Extraction movies, cause surely they would make more of them (pretty sure this one would make it to the top chart very soon). The scene in the building was very awesome too with lots of intensity & suspenseful. However, I was not that satisfied with the finale as it felt a bit too simple. But overall it was very very enjoyable. So many times I told my wife (who was watching other things) that she would be screaming so much during the whole movie as she is also a major action fan and she is surely going to love this as much as I did.

This film had a duration of 122 minutes including very long closing credits that did not have any mid or post end credit scene. Majority of the film was filled with the action sequence except the opening scenes that took a while but did not feel boring. The violence was still apparent here so those who are not too keen watching too much of this can skip this movie. But for those who are accustomed and do not really mind, this would be enjoyable at least for the sake of the action. I cannot wait for them to announce another sequel which I surely would love to watch. Overall this is still as satisfying as the original with more enemies, and longer action sequence but the climax was not as amazing as the first movie for me. Nevertheless it is still very entertaining. 

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment