Thursday, August 3, 2023

(MINI SERIES) Secret Invasion - Just Another Check-List Series to Cross to Have Knowledge of Complete Story Line in MCU

Once again, a new series from Marvel Cinematic Universe was released on Disney+ few weeks ago. Since I am one of those people who do not want to miss out on anything related to MCU continuation story, I had to watch this series as well. So when its final episode was shown mid of last week, I began to watch it during the weekend and finished immediately. OK, here's more on the series.

Brief Story Line

Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson - The Protege, Spiral etc) who had been in space developing space defense system was called back to earth when a group of Skrull rebels led by Gravik (Kingsley Ben-Adir - King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, One Night in Miami etc) were trying to take over earth by impersonating high ranking officials. Fury worked together with Talos (Ben Mendelsohn - The Outsider TV series, Robin Hood 2018 version etc) whom he first met during the events in Captain Marvel in pacifying the rebels. Gravik himself was supported by plenty of Skrulls who had the same view of his, such as Pagon (Kylian Scott - The Commuter etc), G'iah (Emilia Clarke - Last Christmas, Above Suspicion etc) and new recruit Beto (Samuel Adewunmi - You Don't Know Me TV series etc).

Fury also sought the help from MI6 agent Sonya Falsworth (Olivia Colman - Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Murder on the Orient Express etc) for the fight against those rebels, though she also had her own challenges. Meanwhile Colonel Rhodes (Don Cheadle - Space Jam: A New Legacy, Ocean's 8 etc) seemed to lose faith in Fury and were at each others odds. 

So what would happen to Fury and how would the story conclude? You could find out in this mini series.

End of Brief Story Line

To be honest, Fury has not been a favorite character of mine. Although he was the big leader of S.H.I.E.L.D and the one who managed to gather all the Avengers, but other than that, he was not some major super hero or anything. So when it was announced there will be a series focusing on him and the Skrulls (who personally did not truly impress me either), I was not too excited about it. But as I said above, being part of the audience who had followed all the MCU movies and series from the beginning, I would not want to miss even this one. 

The pilot episode started with showing characters that I was surprised as I did not know they would appear in here. But then it progressed quite slowly. Not until we reached towards the end where it suddenly sparked to life with that shocking scene. In subsequent episodes though, I felt the pace slowed down significantly as it focused more on Fury's life which we never get to see before. It did make us more relatable to him and saw him as a person, just like any other Avengers. However, on a personal level, I felt it less exciting. Not until I reached end of episode 3 which would be the start of something more intense that culminated in episode 4 & 5.

With lots of stakes, the 6th and final episode should have been an amazing finale. Unfortunately it fell a bit short. Yes there were some suspenseful moments in the mid of the episode involving Gravik and Fury but as far as climax go, this felt a bit lacking (and probably too brief). At least there was something that likely would be important in the next phase of MCU. There was no mid or post end credit scene as well.

I read that critics were mixed of this series as they praised Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn's performance but not appreciative of the writing, pacing and special effects. For a TV series, I actually thought the effects were pretty decent. I did not have any complain on the dialogues, but obviously I agreed with the pacing. Aside from those two lead cast and the others I mentioned above, there were few people who reprised their roles from previous movies in MCU. In addition, we got few support cast such as Dermot Mulroney (Scream VI, I Still See You etc) as US President Ritson, Charlayne Woodard (Glass etc) as Priscilla Davis (you would be surprised with her character), Christopher McDonald (The Watcher TV series etc) as TV news host and many more.

Overall to me this was a mini series that was OK, but certainly not a favorite of mine. It was not something that I would remember fondly and became just part of my checklist of MCU series that I had to watch. Now I do not mind something dark in a superhero series (I did enjoy some of them in the past too), but despite its dark nature and mature theme, I could not find myself to really enjoy this one completely. Although, few of the action sequence in the middle were OK enough and shocking twists might be important for the knowledge of the whole universe. So if you are just casual audience of Marvel Cinematic Universe, I do not think this is a must-see one. But if you are die hard fan and have to know everything, then of course you got to see it. For neutral audience, the choice is yours. 

Mike's movie moments rating: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment