Saturday, February 23, 2019

I Still See You - Not an Impressive Supernatural Mystery Thriller Movie

Finally this movie was shown in Indonesian theaters after promoted under the "Coming Soon" section for many months now. Its trailer had also been shown many times and I almost forgot this movie existed until yesterday when it was announced the film had premiered. As it also played in the theater nearest our home, it was very convenient for us. But my wife was not a fan of a movie that seemed to be having supernatural horror, so I saw this by myself. OK, let us go on with the movie.

Brief Story Line

10 years after an explosion accident in a laboratory in Chicago, a lot of people fell victims and their ghosts/residue haunting the city and reliving their last moments before the accident. These remains were called as "remnants". A high school girl named Veronica "Ronnie" (Bella Thorne - Amityville: The Awakening, My Own Worst Enemy TV Series etc) was confused with the appearance of a new mysterious remnant in her house that she suspected of trying to hurt her. She befriended with the new guy in school named Kirk (Richard Harmon - Continuum TV series, The 100 TV series etc) who seemed to know a lot about remnants.


Ronnie also requested the assistance from her teacher Mr. Bittner (Dermot Mulroney - Sleepless, Insidious: Chapter 3 etc) who despite being very skeptical, was still willing to help. Together with Kirk, Ronnie tried to investigate the remnant who would later on revealed to be named Brian (Thomas Elms). 

So what was the real reason for Ronnie being hunted? And how would this all conclude? Find them all in this rather mysterious horror thriller movie.

End of Brief Story Line

After finishing this movie, I felt that it was not bad. It had some elements of mystery which required us to think a bit. Although because I had seen sooo many typical mystery movie, I managed to guess some of the supposedly surprising twists. But there was 1 thing involving Kirk towards the end that could still astonish me which I did not see coming. 

The movie itself was said to be having the genre of supernatural mystery thriller which I thought was correct. Despite having some scenes involving ghosts (or remnants), it was not that scary. There were some jump scare scenes that did shocked me a bit. Those were the things that my wife was rather allergic to, but I thought it was not so much that would make my wife scared. So perhaps she could give it a chance later.

The special effects were not a lot in here, but the remnants effects were pretty good, especially when they were hit by car or by people. The sound effects in those jump scare scenes were awesome. The story itself was quite intriguing and creative. Somehow I felt that it was like adapted from book. And when I checked in the internet, it was indeed adapted from a novel titled Break My Heart 1000 Times written by Daniel Waters. Not sure if it was really loyal to the content as I did not read the book.

The main actress here Bella Thorne was quite OK as the lead character. Though Richard Harmon playing as the brooding high school student was very standard (of all the series I had seen him before, I thought he was playing the same character over and over again). There was a bit of romance in here but sadly it was not really convincing, probably because there seemed to be no chemistry between Ronnie and Kirk. And to my surprise, there was also Dermot Mulroney whom I was unable to recognize as his beards were all over his face, but his performance here was not really that impressive.

Overall this movie was just so so. It was definitely not the best mystery movie but it was certainly not the worst. However, this was the type of movie which after you saw it, you would probably forget it in an instance as it did not leave a whole lot of impression. The ending as I said give some surprising twists which most likely could be guessed by audience and it was not really suspenseful either. Btw, no mid or post end credit scenes in here. So if you are looking for an average supernatural mystery thriller, you could give this a try. But do not expect it to be the most amazing movie. 

Mike's movie moments rating: 3 out of 5 stars

1 comment: