Saturday, May 27, 2023

Scream VI - Still an Enjoyable Slasher Movie Even After > 25 Years

During the past few weeks, I have been away on holiday and since I got back few days ago I was so busy that I have not been able to write anything. Finally today I got the chance to post something that was very interesting for me, as it was a personal favorite. All right then, let's get right at it.

Brief Story Line

After the events in previous movie, the remaining survivors of Woodsboro killing, Sam (Melissa Barrera - Keep Breathing TV series etc), her younger sister Tara (Jenna Ortega - Wednesday TV series etc), the twins Chad (Mason Gooding - Booksmart etc) and Mindy (Jasmin Savoy Brown - The Leftovers TV series etc) had moved to New York city to start new life. Tara was living together with her room-mate Quinn (Liana Liberato - If I Stay etc), while Chad's room-mate was Ethan (Jack Champion - Avatar: The Way of Water etc) and Mindy was seeing Anika (Devyn Nekoda - Sneakerella etc). 

However, soon enough their lives would be ruined when the killing started again where the mask of Ghostface (still voiced by Roger L. Jackson) was left at the crime scene. Detective Wayne (Dermot Mulroney - Deadly Illusions etc) who happened to be Quinn's father was the chief investigator and FBI agent who was also former victim of Ghostface, Kirby Reed (Hayden Panettiere - Heroes TV series etc) got herself involved in the case. Even Gale (Courteney Cox - Friends TV series etc) turned up as well to investigate on this latest killing.

So what would happen to Sam, Tara and the rest whose lives were in danger too? You can find out in this movie.

End of Brief Story Line

Well this movie was just as expected. It still provided the same formula where Ghostface wreak havoc by doing killing spree and no one seemed to be safe. The opening scene was very interesting for me, not only because it involved familiar face but also because it was giving me the first surprising twist. The rest was obviously similar where our main protagonists, the 4 survivors of Woodsboro killing earlier had to use all their instincts to fight against the killer, while trying to figure out who it was.

The film duration seemed to be quite long for me as it was a little over 2 hours, probably because this time there was a bit of "side" stories of the main cast. The violence here was still as brutal as before and a bit bloody, though not up to the level of really gore. To my surprise I did not feel there were a lot of jump scare scenes (not sure if it was because I watched it on the small screen that reduced this element). Which is why I believe it would be a better experience if I saw this in the cinema with great sound system. Too bad though it did not got the approval (I think) from the Indonesian censorship body (I don't think it was due to violence but probably the LGBTQ factor?).

The twists in Scream movies had always been the main attraction for me and this time I was not able to guess it. But I did watch this by myself as my wife was watching something else. If she did it together with me, she might be able to get it right. There were a bit of weakness in the logical part at certain scenes but those have never been the plus point anyway. So disregarding this part, the movie still felt interesting and entertaining enough.

The cast mainly did fine job and it was a nice touch by adding the previous character in the franchise. I read they were thinking of adding others too in the future. Btw at first I was not familiar with Hayden Panettiere as she looked mature here. Other than the cast I mentioned above, there were also appearances of others like Henry Czerny (The Other Half etc) as the therapist, Samara Weaving (Ready or Not etc), Josh Segarra (She-Hulk: Attorney at Law TV series etc) and Tony Revolori (MCU's Spider-man movies).

Overall I still enjoy watching this latest movie as it had the same elements and twists plus the joy of seeing the characters making "mockery" of formulaic franchise. The action and curiosity of who the killer was also added the element of fun. So if you are fans of these movies, I think you would like this one. But if you felt the previous film was not good, then probably you would not like this either. If you are Indonesian and interested in watching this legally, the movie is available at Catchplay+ with additional price to single rental. 

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment