Sunday, April 25, 2021

Superintelligence - Nice Enough Combination of Rom-com with a bit of Science Fiction

This is a movie that was released on HBO Go yesterday, although it has been released on HBO Max in November 2020. So it's still quite new and nice to have the chance to see it from the comfort of my home. Now let's see if this movie can entertain me.

Brief Story Line

Carol Peters (Melissa McCarthy - Ghostbusters 2016 version, Identity Thief etc) was just an average woman who used to work in a technology company with her best friend Dennis (Brian Tyree Henry - Child's Play 2019 version, Hotel Artemis etc). But when an Artificial Intelligence who called itself Superintelligence (voiced by James Corden - Peter RabbitSmallfoot etc) somehow decided to learn about humanity from her in the next 3 days, Carol became completely overwhelmed by the things it did for her.

One of those was how it convinced Carol to rekindle her old relationship with George (Bobby Cannavale - Tom & Jerry 2021, Motherless Brooklyn etc). Things seemed to look fine for her until the US President Monaghan (Jean Smart - Watchmen TV series, The Accountant etc), through her staff and agents find out about Superintelligence and decided to safe humanity from its threat. 

So how would the story conclude? Find them all in this quite fun movie.

End of Brief Story Line

Well that was better than expected. I was a bit skeptical after seeing Melissa McCarthy's more recent movies that were too average and did not satisfy me at all. But this time I thought her character in this film truly suit her. There was no self pitying and the comedy was actually funny. Oh but what I loved the most was her interaction with Bobby Cannavale who played a very charming personality and really likable person. Their chemistry in here to me was pretty convincing. 

Now what about the A.I itself? I thought James Corden was quite hilarious. He was perfect in the role of voicing an A.I with conscience and sometimes unable to determine what was funny and not. Oh Brian Tyree Henry was also at his best in here as well. I was laughing few times because of him. Even my wife commented that I seemed to be enjoying myself by the frequency of me laughing out loud. 

This movie was the fourth collaboration of McCarthy with her husband Ben Falcone who served as director and writer. Out of the 5 movies they worked together, I have watched 3 of them (latest was Thunder Force which was disappointing) and I think this was their best in term of providing good entertainment. There were 2 other movies (Tammy and The Boss) that I have not seen, so I probably should reserve my opinion till I watched them and decide for myself.

Aside from the names mentioned above, there were some minor supporting characters such as comedians Jessica St. Clair, Karan Soni plus Sam Richardson and Ben Falcone himself as NSA agents. There were also a pleasantly surprising voice cameo from an 80s TV series that got me quite ecstatic.  Oh there was one scene that made me laugh quite hard towards the end, involving General Gomez (played by Michael Beach - Third Watch TV series etc). 

Overall this movie was pretty entertaining for me. I like the simple story of a bit of science fiction combined with romance between two ordinary people. The scenario might not be the best and the ending was quite predictable, but after all it's supposed to be a rom-com so hardly any twist is expected. The journey was the part that made it fun. So if you are looking for a Melissa McCarthy comedy movie that's quite satisfying, then this might be to your liking. 

Mike's movie moments rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment