Friday, November 22, 2019

Frozen II - A Beautifully Animated Sequel to that Magical Lovely 2013 Movie

Finally that long awaited sequel was released. My wife and I wanted to see this movie on its first day premier, but it was shown on the same day when she was already engaged to see music concert with her family. So we got the chance to see this one last night and it was in my favorite Dolby Atmos theater where we could enjoy the songs better. OK now, I will go straight to the movie.

Brief Story Line

Few years after the events of the first movie, Elsa (Idina Menzel - Enchanted, Glee TV series) was now becoming the beloved queen of Arandelle. Meanwhile her sister Anna (Kristen Bell - Teen Titans Go! to the Movies, Veronica Mars TV series etc) was happy with the love of her life Kristoff (Jonathan Groff - Mindhunter TV series etc) and the kindhearted snowman Olaf (Josh Gad - A Dog's JourneyThe Angry Birds Movie etc).


When Elsa started to hear some kind of calling, together with Anna, Kristoff, Olaf and Sven the reindeer, they embarked on a journey to find out the reason for this mysterious calling.

So what would they find in this adventure? You could see them all in this lovely movie.

End of Brief Story Line

Well that was another great job from Disney. Got to hand it to them, they still managed to produce another lovely movie almost equally as wonderful as its predecessor. The film was great with a seriously darker tone. Oddly though, my wife and I felt this one had more songs than the first movie but when I saw in the closing credits, it only had around 11 songs which was similar to the 2013 film. 

One thing that I felt less terrific was the songs which on the first listening, did not really leave a great impression, unlike the song Let It Go which immediately made me hooked from the first time. The only song for me personally that sounded nice enough was Lost in the Woods by Jonathan Groff which was playing again during the closing credit. Btw, there was a rather hilarious post end credit scene in here, so you should wait it out to avoid missing that moment.

I mentioned earlier that the film was having a darker tone, but it did have some light humorous moments which mostly were related to Olaf's behavior. His character took quite a center stage here and made a lot of funny remarks which made the whole audience laughed including myself and my wife. There was also few lighter moments involving Kristoff and that time when he sang Lost in the Woods was fun (my wife said it looked like the music video from the 80s). I also felt the focus was really on Elsa with lots of showing her character developed more mature. She was definitely my wife's favorite character not only because of her amazing magical ability but also her appearance. 

In this sequel, there were the voice appearance of Alfred Molina (Chocolat, Spider-man 2 etc), Evan Rachel Wood (WestworldAmerican Gothic TV series etc), Sterling K. Brown (The Angry Birds Movie 2The Predator etc) and few others adding to the already rich voice characters. I also thought the story in this movie was a bit heavier and beautiful especially on the animations part. I was so amazed by the really lovely scenery drawn in here, as well as the gorgeous autumn colors and the best of them all to me was the part in the ocean. My God that was just awesome! However, I do not know why I cannot shake the feeling that in term of giving a satisfaction sense, the first film was more satisfying and full of emotional moments. There were few scenes here that were touching, with one in particular towards the end (though I could predict the outcome), but it did not feel like a full emotional ride. Again when comparing to Frozen.

Anyway I still believe this would be a huge success and people generally would love the movie (I know my wife did). The wonderful animation, the nostalgic feeling of seeing the beloved characters again and a darker story would be a treat for people who love this genre. The songs were quite nice to hear, with powerful strong sense in one or two songs sang by Idina Menzel. And of course the fun moments provided by Josh Gad as my favorite, Olaf. So if you are fans of the first movie, this one is definitely a must-see.

Happy watching!

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment