Saturday, September 28, 2019

Drunk Parents - A not That Funny Comedy Movie with a Misleading Title

There were few movies that were released this week, but I was away on a business trip and only got chance to start seeing it yesterday. I wanted to see another comedy movie released earlier but as my wife wanted to take a rest, I decided to see this one instead which I did not think she would be interested. Anyway, I will go straight to the movie now.

Brief Story Line

A seemingly rich couple of Frank Teagarten (Alec Baldwin - The Boss Baby, The Aviator etc) and his wife Nancy (Salma Hayek -  The Hitman's Bodyguard, Desperado etc) just dropped their only daughter Rachel (Michelle Veintimilla) to college. Turned out, Frank and Nancy did have some financial problems which they tried to hide from Rachel.

On their first night without Rachel, they were so drunk and did something that would change their lives in the following few days. Their actions would affect their relationship with their friends and family including Nancy's sister (Natalia Cigliuti) with her husband Bob (Joe Manganiello - Smurfs: The Lost Village, Sabotage etc) and their two brat adolescent children. Their lives also got very complicated with the appearance of Carl (comedian Jim Gaffigan).

So what would happen to these parents? Find them all in this comedy movie.

End of Brief Story Line 

Well gotta admit that when I read the premise, it sounded interesting. And the first few minutes seemed like I was going to be having lots of fun. But as the story progressed, I did not understand why but the jokes felt a bit unfunny, and I particularly did not like Salma Hayek's character in here. She was a bit annoying and not that funny. But at least, Alec Baldwin was good and showed his usual charm and experience in comedic role. It was like he did not have to put too much effort into it and I could enjoy his performance.

The story itself was not too complicated, just like what you would get in comedy movie such as this one. The humor were mostly related to the situations they were in because of their own making. The supporting characters were quite average, with probably Jim Gaffigan's performance as Carl who could gave me a few laughs. Oh and those children of Bob and Betty sadly were not funny at all and just plain annoying to see.

Another thing that was quite bothersome to me was the problem the Teagarten faced which seemed a bit too serious but was settled in such an easy way. Plus the title itself did not seem to reflect the main storyline. If you read the title, most probably you would have thought there would be lots of drunken moments they experienced. However, that moment was only like in the early part and the whole problem they had was only due to that one time, not continuously happening. So the title to me gave a bit of a false impression.

Btw, there was the surprise appearance of a rather well known comedy actor in an uncredited cameo (you should be able to recognize him if you happen to see lots of Hollywood comedy movies). There was no mid or post end credit scenes. The duration was only 97 minutes so it's not too long. The rating was for 17+ which was perfect because of some harsh languages and few sexual joke references.

Now I am not saying that this is the worst movie I have ever seen, because I did laugh at few of the jokes here and there, with my favorite moment usually involving Alec Baldwin's character facing the worst problem he had. But majority it fail to live up to my expectation for a comedy movie. I guess that's the reason this movie was having pretty low rating in IMDB.

Overall, this was a movie that did not require to be seen in the cinema. You could just wait it out to play in cable TV or probably search for it via online streaming. Even if you skip this movie, you would not lose anything. However, if you still want to see Alec Baldwin providing some fun moments and as long as you could bear with Salma Hayek's character, then you could give this a try. But don't say I did not warn you.

Mike's movie moments rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment