Monday, June 17, 2019

(TV SERIES) Marvel's Cloak & Dagger Season 1 - A Better than Expected Marvel's Teenager Superheroes

After continuing other older series, I wanted to try another one short enough to finish during the weekend. My choice fell to this one which premiered last year and its second season had just finished airing a couple of weeks ago. It was another Marvel series which only had 10 episodes per season, so should be easy enough to complete. OK, will start with more details now.

Brief Story Line

Story was set in New Orleans several years after an industrial accident which affected a lot of people and killing several workers as well. Tyrone Johnson (Aubrey Joseph) was a high school student whose life was also affected by that incident. His mother Adina (Gloria Reuben - Lincoln, ER TV series etc) and father Otis (Miles Mussenden) were sometimes being over protective on Tyrone, which made him felt overwhelmed. Ty went to St. Sebastian school where he would sometimes seek advice from the priest Francis Delgado (Jaime Zevallos).


Meanwhile another teenager Tandy Bowen (Olivia Holt - Status Update, Kickin It TV series etc) had a different fate. Her life was transformed completely after the incident and her mother Melissa (Andrea Roth - The Collector, Rescue Me TV series etc) was really affected by it. Tandy had a petty criminal boyfriend named Liam (Carl Lundstedt) who had a major impact on her life. Both these teenagers lives would soon change when they crossed path and realize they had some kind of powers which likely was the result of the previous accident. 

Tandy and Tyrone would soon be entangled in matters relating to their past. But things were also complicated with the involvement of New Orleans Detective O'Reilly (Emma Lahana) and Vice Detective Connors (J.D. Evermore). So what would happen to these 2? Find them all in another decent series based on Marvel comics.

End of Brief Story Line

Honestly, I was not aware of these characters from Marvel at all, so when I watched this series, I did not know what to expect. At first I thought this one would be like a love story between teenagers having super power. But it turned out to be a lot more than that. The pilot episode was really exciting to me, as it made me could not stop watching until few episodes. It was pretty consistent in making me intrigued at least until episode 4 or 5. The strength of those episodes were definitely in the mystery and the excitement of seeing how these 2 main characters would be related.

Once I got to the middle, I could already foresee what would be in store for the two of them. But, it was still exciting to watch and good thing the characters development were quite well done. I like the way they learnt how to control their power and became the Cloak and Dagger, plus I also like the fact there were other characters in Tyrone and Tandy's life which made this first season not entirely focusing on romance like I worried it would be. 

Talking about these main leads, I thought Aubrey Joseph was pretty convincing playing as Tyrone while Olivia Holt was playing a strong female character not the damsel in distress type (btw I sometimes felt she has a rather strong similarity with Eliza Taylor, the main lead of The 100 TV series. You could certainly google them and see if you agree with me). The rest of the supporting cast  though, felt they were really just to support and only few of them I thought were important enough to justify being put as main cast, such as Det. O'Reilly and Det. Johnson, plus Tyrone's parents and Tandy's mother. The rest I felt would be more suitable put as guest stars. In fact I thought another person suit better as part of the main cast, i.e Ty's school friend Evita (Noëlle Renée Bercy) as her role was quite important.

As a superhero series set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, there was only one time where it was referenced in of the episode. The special effects were not too many as their powers were not the kind that require best visual effects to make. So do not expect the kind you would see in Marvel movies. The story was sometimes quite dark and the New Orleans feel was pretty strong as well with a bit of those cultural thing/event shown. Of all the episodes, my favorite ones were its pilot, the 7th episode (with its rather unique take) and the 9th episode which was fantastic. Unfortunately though, the season finale to me did not feel strong enough. Yes it got its moment and some conclusions, but I thought the fast pace and intensity was a bit inconsistent due to the intention of showing the so called "Divine Pairing" part. However, the ending was nice, plus that final scene really set up for an interesting second season. 

Overall this was a series that to me was better than I expected. I started watching with a low expectation but ended up feeling intrigued and quite hungry for more. It was rather dark for a series focusing on teenagers with powers, and not the light type with many humor, in fact I thought this one was quite serious. Its mystery especially in the early part plus the two main leads connections were the highlights of this series for me. So if you are looking for a superhero series from Marvel, not as dark as those from Netflix but still serious enough for one focusing on teenage superheroes, then this could be a nice option. I personally quite enjoy this show and who knows you might be too.

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment