Sunday, January 14, 2024

Role Play - Not Spectacular and Funny Enough as Action Comedy with Only Bill Nighy's Performance as the Highlight

This movie was released on Friday on Prime Video but I opted to watch another new movie that was shown on different streaming platform. So I only got to see it last night. OK, why don't I just get to it.

Brief Story Line

Emma (Kaley Cuoco - Based on True Story TV series, The Wedding Ringer etc) was happily married with Dave Bracket (David Oyelowo - Silo TV series, Chaos Walking etc) for 7 years but secretly she was actually a professional assassin without her husband's knowledge. One night they decided to do a role play in a hotel but their plan was interrupted by the appearence of an unknown man who called himself Bob (Bill Nighy - Detective Pikachu, Living etc) and seemed to know about Emma's identity.

Now Emma had to use all her wits and experience to protect her family. And things gotten more complicated when an International agent Gwen Carver (Connie Nielsen - Wonder Woman, Mission to Mars etc) started to look into Emma.

So how would the story conclude? You could find out in this movie.

End of Brief Story Line

The reason why I was interested in watching this was due to its premise. Although it seemed to have been used many times previously and somehow more frequent in the last few years, I was still intrigued to see it. Especially when the lead cast was Kaley Cuoco who had been pretty awesome recently. Anyway the film started off quite clearly on Emma's secret life with a bit of her humorous style and more enhanced as soon as they began their role play.

To me the movie gotten really exciting with the appearance of Bill Nighy. My God he was so perfect in portraying his role with annoyingly talkative manner and his interaction with Cuoco and Oyelowo was fantastic. It was truly the highlight of the movie for me. Subsequently though, the film's tone somehow changed from light and fun to dark and grim. In fact it also became rather violent and surprising me too with how Cuoco managed to play a ruthless assassin.

Personally to me the change in tone did not make me happy cause it no longer became an action comedy for fun but instead a serious story of a killer. However it was not exactly that fantastic either which made the movie felt rather weak as a drama, not funny enough as comedy and not too spectacular in term of action. To be fair though, the action might be more challenging to do since I read that Cuoco was pregnant with her first child during the filming of this. Btw she was also credited as the producer.

Aside from the cast I mentioned above, there were also support characters such as Emma's handler Raj (Rudi Dharmalingam - The Lazarus Project TV series etc), Bracket children Caroline and Wyatt played by Lucia Aliu and Regan Bryan-Gudgeon respectively with few others in minor capacity. The movie was directed by Thomas Vincent whose prior experience mostly directing French films. From what I read, the critics were very unimpressed with this as proven by the very low ratings. Not sure about audience reaction though cause it's still pretty new. Oh it had duration of 101 minutes without any mid or post end credit scene.

Overall to me this was an action comedy that could have been better. The premise though very familiar could still be explored further, but I think the tone change rather ruined the fun aspect. I failed to see Cuoco's strong suit in comedic role being optimized here. It did have some nice moments when Bill Nighy came into the picture. Sadly the movie did not leave me with a great impression and likely I would not really remember it in the near future.

Mike's movie moments rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment