Friday, December 30, 2022

Kamu Tidak Sendiri - Only Adinia Wirasti Performance that was the Highlight in this Drama Thriller

I remember seeing this movie's poster in Indonesian cinemas some time ago but I think it failed to make real impact back then, which resulted to lack of hype surrounding it and only played for little while. However, as it is now available on Netflix (I think released 2 days ago), I got the chance to watch it easily. So I decided to give it a try last night as the premise seemed interesting enough.

Brief Story Line

Mira (Adinia Wirasti - Susah Sinyal, Ada Apa Dengan Cinta? etc) was an ambitious woman who always worked late hours to achieve her target. One night as Mira was leaving the office building, a man later on revealed to be Mika (Ganindra Bimo - Keluarga tak Kasat Mata, Jakarta vs Everybody etc) who also worked at the same floor, went inside the elevator with her. Mira was feeling really uncomfortable in the same tight place with Mika who tried to make conversations. 

Unfortunately for her, a violent earthquake rocked the city and the elevator was stuck. As she grew impatient especially with the unpleasant feeling trapped with another man, luckily she finally heard the voice of the security named Adrian (Rio Dewanto - Ben & Jody, Surat dari Praha etc) who tried to calm her down. 

So how would the story conclude? You could find out in this movie.

End of Brief Story Line

The title of this movie (You Are Not Alone) seemed to suggest it to be a horror genre, especially since there are soooo many Indonesian horror films have been produced in the past and present and in the years to come. But when I saw it was categorized as thriller, I thought it should be interesting. To be honest, I had something in my mind of what the story would be about. Turned out though my prediction was totally incorrect. 

Anyway, despite my wrong guess, I still thought it had a fresh enough idea. And the choosing of Adinia Wirasti as the lead cast was the best move they did as she practically brought the movie up to the respectable enough level. Otherwise it would have been a really poorly executed film. One of the things that I thought could have been better would be the writing. There were few conversations that did not feel "right" between Mira and Adrian. Even my wife who caught glimpses of them (she was watching other series but still managed to hear some), were confused when she heard those and thought they were out of place. It was actually surprising considering the writer was Titien Wattimena who had written various successful films like Dilan trilogy, Aruna dan Lidahnya and many more.

For me personally, the movie's early part took a bit too long. I think there were few overly detailed scenes that were not really required. In addition, the scenes before the conclusion felt a bit weird and forced as well. Another part of the movie that I did not like was the outside scenery of the earthquake aftermath. I guess the movie makers preferred to lower down the budget by using simple computer effects rather than making a proper setting. Sadly using darkened filter just to show the city in damaged condition did not give the desired effect and it just make the movie looked cheap. Although I could understand such move, but it did not make me like the movie better.

Aside from Adinia Wirasti, Ganidia Bimo and Rio Dewanto were quite OK. There were other minor roles as well such as Mira's secretary Sari (Sintya Marisca), Adrian's daughter Dinda (Giselle Irene), their neighbor Azizah (Aisyah Aqilah - Melodylan etc) and a familiar face of Lukman Sardi (Wiro Sableng etc) whose name was credited as "Story Idea". The movie was directed by Arwin Wardhana in what seemed to be his feature film directorial debut. 

Overall to me this movie would have been quite a disaster if not for the convincing performance of Adinia Wirasti. The writing was not the best trait and the setting plus overly detailed scene was not the plus point. So even though I like the idea, but due to its lacking in other areas made this movie less enjoyable for me than it should be.

Mike's movie moments rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars 

1 comment:

  1. Adinia gave a believable performance. She draws you in as the desperation becomes real. To me, I watched it till the end because of her.

    ReplyDelete