Saturday, August 21, 2021

Sweet Girl - An Action Thriller Movie that might be Better without the Over Complexities of Plot

Yesterday I decided to watch this new movie on Netflix which based on its trailer seemed to promise good old fashion action that I love. It was also intriguing to see how Jason Momoa fare in this film as he started to have more lead roles. OK, let's get on it now.

Brief Story Line (Warning possible spoiler)

Ray Cooper (Jason Momoa - Aquaman, Conan the Barbarian etc) had lost his wife due to cancer and raised his daughter Rachel (Isabela Merced - Instant FamilyDora and the Lost City of Gold etc) by himself. Ray was actually really upset and held Simon Keeley (Justin Bartha - The Hangover trilogy etc) the CEO of a major pharmaceutical company called BioPrime responsible for his wife's demise. 

When he got information of the illegal activities done by Keeley & BioPrime, Ray decided to take matters into his own hand. However this would endanger Rachel's life. And to make matters worse, there was a professional Hitman (Manuel Garcia-Rulfo - 6 Underground etc) who was trying to kill Ray and FBI agents Meeker (Lex Scott Davis - The First Purge etc) & Rothman (Michael Raymond-James - Once Upon a Time TV series etc) trying to capture him.

So what would happen to Ray and Rachel? Find them all in this action thriller movie.

End of Brief Story Line

This movie started off nicely with an intriguing scene and at first I thought this would be a simple revenge movie that did not require us to overthink. As the story progressed though, it appeared the writers tried to make the story not as simple as seen and created some sort of complex plot. But I could actually still tolerate it and just enjoy the ride up to certain point. It was indeed quite enjoyable especially when it involved the hand to hand fights which surprisingly were pretty violent and quite hard core.

During the movie though, I felt the presence of Ray's daughter Rachel to be a bit distracting. I personally prefer it to focus more on Ray and his struggle and effort to get his revenge. But after a while I was kind of got used to it. I personally have nothing against Isabela Merced as I have seen her in other movies previously and found her to be OK (she was cast under the name of Isabela Moner which would explain why I could not find her name in my old posts). Meanwhile Jason Momoa looked good during the action scenes and there was one emotional scene where he was really convincing and even made me feel a bit emotional too. In addition to the names mentioned above, there were also few other support cast including Amy Brenneman (Private Practice TV series etc) as congresswoman Diana Morgan and Adria Arjona (Emerald City TV series etc) as Ray's wife, Amanda.

As I said above, the action sequence here was pretty entertaining and I also like it when they were frequently shown. Usually in an action thriller movie, the action were only bits and pieces and they put everything in the climax. This film though showed a lot of actions before the final fight. Oh there was a shocking twist somewhere towards the end which totally changed the way I saw the film. It seemed like a smart move, but I am not sure I like it as it make the whole story somehow felt illogical. And I suspect that most people might not like it either. Btw the movie is R rated due to violence and language. It has 110 minutes duration and did not have any mid or post end credit scene. 

For an action thriller movie, this one did deliver in the action area. But the story/plot might need some upgrade. I myself quite enjoy the action sequence, however I would have liked the film more had the story been written in a better way (less overcomplexities). So if you like a one man army action revenge movie which tend to be a bit extreme as the main lead seemed to be super strong, agile and lucky to survive the onslaught of various bad guys, then you would most likely enjoy this. But if story is something that you crave, then I do not believe you would be happy with the film. The choice is yours.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment