Thursday, August 5, 2021

Recalled - A Quite Beautiful & Tragic Mystery Thriller Drama Movie

I forgotten that there was this new movie scheduled to be released end of July on Catchplay+ and missed out on watching it till last night. I was intrigued by the premise and thought it would be a good option during this challenging time that me and my wife are facing now. Anyway, why don't I just go ahead with the film.

Brief Story Line

A young woman named Soo-jin (Seo Yea-ji - It's Okay to Not Be Okay TV series etc) woke up from coma with memory loss of what happened previously. She was taken back home in the care of her loving and caring husband Jin-woo (Kim Kang-woo - New Year Blues etc). As they started to adjust with life, Soo-jin started to experience premonition-like visions involving other people she met, which started to make her doubt herself and even her husband.

Meanwhile, police detective Bae (Bae yoo-ram) and his partner were investigating the case of missing items from an abandoned building and also were assigned to see to the case of Soo-jin. So what was the reason for the visions Soo-jin was having and how would the story conclude? You can find them all in this intriguing mystery thriller drama movie.

End of Brief Story Line

This movie was truly interesting. It started off pretty basic with the memory loss suffered by our lead cast, but as the story progressed and we get to see some interesting premonitions plus the mystery investigation by the police which - you guessed it - would have some connections at one point of time, it quite captivated me. The nice thing about watching this kind of movie was the slow reveal and the feeling of really wanting to know what actually happened which was built up fantastically by the director Seo You min (in her feature directorial debut, at least that's what I got from the movie database). She also wrote this movie and her prior experience was writing few other films, including as co-writer for the movie April Snow.

Now as I said, when I watched this movie, I was always thinking and analysing the story and I really enjoyed the story telling. The pace was consistent throughout and once there was this one huge reveal shown, I got totally excited and waiting anxiously till the conclusion. And to me, it was done in a really beautiful manner. I could not help to feel sympathetic and rooting for the main casts' story. I thought the editor of Catchplay+ wrote it perfectly with "Korean suspense thriller that not only puts you on the edge of your seats, but also on the edge of tears...". Yes definitely there would be emotions, although for me personally it was tragic but not up to the level of really made me emotional beyond control.

The main cast did their job greatly in here. I never saw any of them before (after all I have not seen that many Korean drama or movies), but Seo Yea-ji is hugely popular because of that highly rated TV series which went on to become one of the most popular series in 2020 in South Korea. So fans of her in that series likely would be enjoying her performance in this movie. As for Kim Kang-woo, I think he suit his role perfectly with his melancholy face and expressions, especially during the time when he showed his affections. There were other minor roles in here, but I think the people might be familiar with would be Yeom Hye-ran (The Uncanny Counter TV series) as Soo-jin's boss/friend and Sung Hyuk (You Are The Only One TV series etc) as the man from Soo-jin's past. Bae Yoo-ram as the detective was OK as well, did his job adequately.

Overall this was not a complicated movie. It was simple, easy to digest, having a slow reveal that was satisfying and a mystery that kept me intrigued till the end. It also has a beautiful story of love and sacrifice that was pretty entertaining to watch. So if you are looking for this kind of quality in a movie then I am sure you would love it. Btw, it has short duration of only 99 minutes which I thought was just nice and not overly long/short. 

Mike's movie moments rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment