Saturday, June 26, 2021

Good On Paper - Not Your Typical Romantic Comedy Movie

As I have been very busy these past weeks, my time of watching movies/series was quite limited. But yesterday I just felt the need to watch something new, fresh and fun. So while browsing through Netflix, I came across this rom-com which seemed to be light and fun enough. Well, let's find out more, shall we?

Brief Story Line

Andrea Singer (Iliza Shlesinger - Spenser Confidential etc) was a 30 something stand-up comedian who felt that her life was not going the way she thought would be. She was irritated with Serrena (Rebecca Rittenhouse - Four Weddings and a Funeral TV series etc) who seemed to always got better gigs in acting, while she herself became comedian. Andrea's best friend Margot (Margaret Cho - Drop Dead Diva TV series etc) had always been encouraging her to not being so salty with life and enjoy what she had.

After having another audition for a role on TV, Andrea met with a nice regular guy named Dennis (Ryan Hansen - Fantasy Island movie etc) who went on to become good friends with her. But when Dennis wanted to take things more serious, Andrea started to have doubt whether she should do so. And Margot was also a bit skeptical with Dennis, as he seemed too good to be true. 

So how would the story conclude? Find them all in this movie.

End of Brief Story Line

Well this movie felt interesting at first when we were introduced with the character Andrea Singer who was played by a real life stand up comedian Iliza Shlesinger. In fact the movie was based on screenplay written by her and said to be based on "mostly" true story. Anyway when she was doing her stand up comedy in front of her audience (whose faces were never shown, except their voices of laughter), I felt a similarity with the hit TV Show Seinfeld where he also sometimes would appear in front of audience.

However, when Dennis appeared and they seemed to be connecting, it did not seemed too convincing to me. It was different from what I pictured it would be in a rom-com, but I still gave it the benefit of the doubt. As the story continued though, I found myself not truly enjoying it. It felt dull and there was no sense of chemistry between Andrea and Dennis. Not to mention that the supposedly comedic situation did not really excel. The only time I could still smile a bit was when she performed her stand up performance.

The movie ending was also a bit unusual. You need to be ready for this unique ending for a supposedly rom-com. I think perhaps it was taking the "true story" part a bit too serious. But hey, I guess if you are into a bit different kind of rom-com written by a successful comedian and directed by a fellow comedian Kimmy Gatewood (in her directorial debut), having a bit of Seinfeld feel, then perhaps you might enjoy this one. I myself was personally not too impressed by this film as it failed to brighten up my mood and sometimes felt boring. Don't get me wrong though, I do not have anything against Iliza Shlesinger. I think she is a great comedian and I might enjoy her on stage performance better. But this was just not really what I expected. So if a simple, light romantic comedy with typical ending is what you are looking for, then this likely would not be satisfying for you.

Mike's movie moments rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment