Sunday, May 2, 2021

Without Remorse - Pretty Standard Movie with Some Good Quality Actions in this Latest Tom Clancy Novel Adaptation


Another movie that was released during the weekend was this action movie. As a fan of action films, I would certainly give this a try, especially since it's based on a novel written by a well known author Tom Clancy. Ok, let's head on with the movie now.

Brief Story Line

Based on the intel from CIA officer Ritter (Jamie Bell - Jumper, Snowpiercer etc), a group of US Navy SEAL led by Lieutenant Greer (Jodie Turner-Smith - Queen & Slim etc) and Senior Chief John Kelly (Michael B. Jordan - Creed 2, Chronicle etc) went on a mission in Syria. Apparently though, there was a hidden agenda related to the assignment that would have impact on the involved team members. 

After retiring from the military, John Kelly was looking forward to work normal hours with his family. However, his last mission in Syria came back to haunt him. With the help from Greer and information from Secretary of Defense Thomas Clay (Guy Pearce - Bloodshot, Iron Man 3 etc), John tried to find out the people who endangered his life. 

So how would the story conclude? Find them all in this action movie.

End of Brief Story Line

So this movie was intriguing for me because of the name Tom Clancy who has written novels that were quite successfully adapted into movies. The character that was really famous was Jack Ryan who was adapted to films like The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games and even the TV series Jack Ryan. This time the focus was on John Kelly (who has been portrayed in Clear and Present Danger, The Sum of All Fears by different actors).

The movie started off brightly with some good actions. Then we get to the story which felt updated to the more recent condition. Personally to me though, the story was rather standard and in fact I do not think there was any originality. There was nothing truly special about the plot and the supposed twist could be seen a mile away. However, I did enjoy the action sequence. They were awesome and fantastic, and the sound effects were amazing even from my TV.

Michael B. Jordan suit nicely as this character (although I have not read any of Clancy's novels, but I could imagine this would be how he pictured of modern day John Kelly). Btw, from what I read, Jordan was attached to play this role for 2 movies, so there would be a second John Kelly film in the future. There was a mid end credit scene which also provided hint of the sequel. Other cast in here that left a bit of impression were Jodie Turner-Smith, Guy Pearce and Jamie Bell, but sadly the rest did not have sufficient time to make me remember them.

One thing that I felt from this movie was aside from the cool action and sound effects, there was really nothing special. It did not give me the wow feeling and the excitement there would be a sequel. It was so standard that I think I will not remember this movie in the next few weeks. And if anybody asked me what I thought about this film in the near future, I would probably just say something like it got some awesomely done action, but that's it.

In short, if you are looking for an action movie to kill your time, then this likely would be sufficient for you. But if you want a good quality Tom Clancy's novel adaptation, I think you can choose from other adaptations. The choice is certainly yours.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3 out of 5 stars

PS: Due to some technical problem, I was unable to upload any picture in my blog. As I am looking for ways to overcome this challenge, I just put a link to the movie's trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment