Sunday, May 30, 2021

The Postcard Killings - Pretty Entertaining Crime Drama Movie Based on Best Selling Novel by James Patterson and Liza Marklund

Not a lot of new movies that I was really into were released during this weekend as it seemed the streaming providers all preferred to focus on new seasons or series (few were the ones that I have been following and also started to watch). Anyway this film was released on Friday and I watched it during the weekend. OK, I'll get on with it now.

Brief Story Line

When a newlywed couple was found murdered in London, Jacob Kanon (Jeffrey Dean Morgan - Rampage, The Losers etc) who was the father of the deceased woman was truly devastated. He vowed to his wife Valerie (Famke Janssen - The Poison Rose, X-men trilogy etc) to find the person who did this. Despite being restricted with access, Jacob managed to find out that the killer sent a postcard to newspaper reporter before the killing and it has happened more than once.

The latest was sent to an American journalist in Sweden named Dessie Lombard (Cush Jumbo - The Good Wife & The Good Fight TV series etc). After convincing Dessie to assist him in the investigation and with the help from retiring German Inspector Bublitz (Joachim Król - Run Lola Run etc), Jacob went across Europe to catch the killer. 

So how would the story conclude? You can find them all in this mystery crime drama movie.

End of Brief Story Line

This movie started off quite gloomy with a pretty convincing performance from Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the father of his deceased daughter. And throughout the movie, I thought he was good enough to portray the character. As I continued watching, I felt that the film would only concentrate on the catching of the murderer with some suspense on how to do so. However, I was quite shocked when there was a totally surprising twist. Now for a person who usually would have a feeling, I always love it when I did not see the twist coming.

From that moment onwards, I quite enjoyed the way the story progressed. But despite hoping to have more twists, there was only one that still managed to surprise me in the end. Although I thought it was not such a shocking revelation as that first one. Personally to me, the movie would have been more entertaining if there was a bit more suspense. As it was, aside from the twists, there was not really anything that was truly great. Overall though, it was still enjoyable for me.

This movie was based on 2010 novel titled The Postcard Killers written by Liza Marklund and James Patterson (writer of some novels that have been adapted to movies & series such as Kiss the Girls, Along Came a Spider, Alex Cross, Instinct etc). It was directed by Bosnian director Danis Tanović (No Man's Land that has won multiple awards, Death in Sarajevo and several others). Sadly though, the film was not well received by critics. I myself thought it was a bit too harsh to be given such low rating and apparently general audiences did not complain too much, but it was not that greatly reviewed either.

As I said above, I thought Jeffrey Dean Morgan was pretty convincing here. Cush Jumbo and Famke Janssen were not too impressive for me, but I liked Joachim Król who was perfect as the very calm,  understanding & patient retiring inspector. Aside from them, there were also appearances by Denis O'hare (The Nevers TV series etc), Steven Mackintosh (Underworld: Evolution etc), Naomi Battrick (Jamestown TV series etc), Ruairi O'Connor (Delicious TV series etc) and few others. 

For a mystery crime drama, this one was pretty good for me. It might not have been a really wonderful movie but it still got some nice surprise to make it interesting. It also has some intriguing moments, though the ending was not spectacular and frankly a bit predictable. I felt this is still a pretty enjoyable movie to watch via streaming or cable TV. Oh, it has 18+ rating due to some violence and graphic scene of the murder victims (not the killing itself as it was not shown). There was no mid or end credit scene at all. So if you are in the mood for some crime drama movie with few twists but not the whodunnit type, this one should fit the category and you are welcome to try it. However, if you trust the critics rating a lot, then you might as well avoid it. The choice is yours.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment