Sunday, May 16, 2021

Mission: Possible - Another Entertaining South Korean Action Comedy Movie

Yesterday I got notification on Catchplay+ that a new movie was about to be released on 15 May, which was a South Korean action comedy film that looked like fun. After waiting impatiently, finally it was shown at 9 PM which I personally felt a bit late. Anyway, let's get on with the movie now.

Brief Story Line

When the Chinese government lost shipment of their guns to foreign arms smugglers, a rookie agent was sent to South Korea for a seemingly suicide mission to stop the guns distribution. Under the false name of Yoo Da-hee (Lee Sun-bin - Rampant, Criminal Minds TV series etc), she went to Seoul and was supposed to work together with an experienced agent. However, due to some reasons, she mistook a materialistic private detective named Woo Soo-han (Kim Young-kwang - On Your Wedding Day TV series, The Soul-mate etc) as her liaison/partner.

The investigation would take them to several leads, but when people started to get murdered, Da-hee and Soo-han became the prime suspect by the police. So what would happen to these two whose partnership seemed to be doomed from the start? Find them all in this fun action comedy movie.

End of Brief Story Line

Watching South Korean action comedy movie have been quite a fun thing for me as in the past few years, they managed to produced some really hilarious and entertaining ones. And this one was no different. It has all the standard formula of the ridiculousness act of the lead characters but somehow could prevail at the right moment. I liked this movie's main cast as they had nice chemistry and their partnership was amazing especially during the final moments.

As an action comedy movie, I thought this one was able to blend them perfectly. There were some moments where I could laugh out loud which caught the attention of my wife. But there were also times where I was in awe with the action sequence. The hand to hand combat were surprisingly very good and really satisfied me. I think it was one of the main factor that I liked about the film. Before I forgot, this movie did not have melodramatic scene which seemed quite uncommon for me.

Aside from Kim Young-kwang and Lee Sun-bin, there were other actors and actresses in support roles who I think were well known names but unfortunately I did not recognize them. I think watching this together with my wife who is a fan of Korean dramas & movies would have been more enjoyable as she would likely scream of excitement at seeing those familiar faces. Too bad she was in the middle of watching a series & wanted to finish that first before watching this one. The support cast who I thought provided more colors were Choi Byung-mo as Da-hee's handler, Seo Hyun-chul as chief detective and Oh Dae-hwan as Jeon-hoon.

Overall this was an entertaining action comedy. It has sufficient comedic moments but the best part for me were the action/fight sequence. Other similar movies might have more slapstick humor and so-so action but this one's action were much better than I anticipated. Btw, I read somewhere that the movie was based on the Mission: Impossible series, though I could not find it in the movie's opening/end credit. Oh during the closing credit, there was quite funny scene (which again might be better received by those who have seen many Korean films). So if you are fans of this genre, you would most likely enjoy the film. It's available via Catchplay+ and also on TVN movies channel.

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Note: This movie was quite successful during its theatrical release and managed to be number 1 in South Korean Box Office in the 3rd week of February 2021. 

No comments:

Post a Comment