Thursday, December 19, 2019

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - A Fun-filled Space Adventure & the Final Part of the Third Trilogy in Star Wars Saga

Despite having advance ticket sales available since last week for this movie, my wife and I had a bit of challenge to schedule it at our convenient time in the studio I prefer. And yesterday, when my favorite cinema finally released its schedule for the show, it was not available via online. So I decided to see this in the theater near our home at 6.50 PM, even though it was in a small studio with regular sound system. Well how was my experience then? Will provide more below.

Brief Story Line

Set after the events of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Rey (Daisy Ridley - Peter Rabbit, Ophelia etc) was still learning to become better Jedi as Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) believed she could be. Meanwhile Poe (Oscar Isaac - The Addams Family 2019 version, A Most Violent Year etc), Finn (John Boyega - Pacific Rim: Uprising, Detroit etc), Chewbacca (Joonas Suotamo) and C3PO (Anthony Daniels) were still fighting for the Resistance.


However the First Order led by Kylo Ren (Adam Driver - Logan Lucky, The Report etc) was given extra power which would make him able to wipe the Resistance once and for all. With everything on the line, the Resistance would have to fight First Order in what would be the biggest war they would every face.

End of Brief Story Line

I did not get into detail on the story above as I prefer not to reveal too much and leave audience to experience everything as I did. So this movie was very very good as usual in term of the visual effects which to me never got old since the first time I saw Star Wars movies years ago. It was amazing and realistically done that they did not seem to be created using computer (that was how good the effects were). But as I did not see this in a theater with great sound system, I could only say that the sound effects was not spectacular enough and felt underwhelming in the sight of great cinematography.

I loved the story telling of this movie as it ran smoothly from one scene to another which made it very satisfying. The adventure experienced by the whole gang was lovely to see and truly enjoyable especially with the appearance of our favorite android C-3PO (fun fact: Anthony Daniels the actor playing him never changed in all 9 Star Wars movies. Such an amazing feat!). He provided many fun moments for us.

Talking about the cast, this time the focus seemed to be on the main leads like Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo Ren. The rest (including Kelly Marie Tran's character Rose who had a lot of screen time in the previous movie) were more like supporting. There were also appearances of fan favorites' 1 or 2 characters which would be best to be seen when you see the movie. They would have made significant impact for major fans of Star Wars (which I think were not that many in our studio, cause their reactions were so so). Oh there was a new interesting character played by Keri Russel (Felicity TV series, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes etc).

For more than 2 hours, audience (including myself and my wife) were entertained by the nicely done adventures, the major war scenes as well as the interaction and dynamics among these new young generation of leaders. Only thing that I regretted was not seeing the previous 2 movies before watching this one as there were few gaps that I need to fill in on my mind before I caught up with certain parts. However, it was not really that significant that made me did not understand the whole story. Oh there was one thing which I was not too satisfied i.e the getting ready part before the final battle. I do not know why but the scene somehow did not feel strong enough like you would sense in other movies which had this kind of scene. It was like Poe/Finn were not really charismatic enough to be leaders yet (but that's just my personal opinion). The battle itself was amazing!

Another wonderful factor that once again caught my attention was the musical score. The background music with the Star Wars theme were great. They also did fantastic job adding the emotional feel during the touching moments which would bring tears to audience. Aside from the emotional moments and excitement during the battle scenes, fans of Star Wars would have loved the strong Force connections in here. There were also few supposedly surprising twists but alas, they were quite predictable and did not provide the effects that the director J. J. Abrams might have wanted. Btw, we waited for the movie to really finished and there was no mid or post end credit scenes at all.

Overall this was an entertaining and enjoyable movie. A sure major blockbuster for the studio though if I had to be honest, it did not feel very very spectacular perhaps due to the predictability of the whole story and it felt like just any other space adventure movie and not the truly memorable one. However, if you are fans of Star Wars and want to see the conclusion of this third trilogy in the series, this is definitely a must and probably would have satisfy (I believe it would be difficult to please all fans especially those hard core ones). I could also understand why this one was not critically acclaimed though my wife and I did love the movie and enjoy it (she even managed to hold going to the bath room to avoid missing any scene) and we were also satisfied with the final ending. So if you have the chance, go and see this movie and hopefully you could enjoy it as well.

Mike's movie moments rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment