Saturday, March 14, 2020

Bloodshot - Hardly a Classic, but Still Pretty Entertaining for Action Fans

After playing in theaters for few days, I finally got the chance to see this movie today. I was originally planning to see it on its premier date on Wednesday, but turned out my favorite theater was having some kind of whole day event then as it did not play any movie at all. Anyway, we bought the tickets for 12 PM show where we were seeing it together with less than 20 people in the whole theater. OK let's get on with the movie.

Brief Story Line

Ray Garrison (Vin Diesel - xXx: Return of Xander Cage, Fast and Furious movies etc) was a hotshot marine who was killed by a vicious criminal named Martin Axe (Toby Kebbel - The Hurricane HeistWar for Planet of the Apes etc). However, a group of scientists under Dr. Harting (Guy Pearce - Memento, Iron Man 3 etc) somehow managed to revive Ray using technology. He was later introduced to other former soldiers who were given organ replacements such as KT (Eiza González - From Dusk till Dawn: The Series etc), Dalton (Sam Heughan) and Tibbs (Alex Hernandez).


Hell bent on getting his revenge, Ray went on a killing spree to find Martin using his now enhanced superhuman power. However, what he found was a lot different from what he imagined.

So how would the story conclude? Find them all in this quite unique superhero movie with some really intense & entertaining action sequence.

End of Brief Story

OK I got to be honest, I was not familiar with this character at all. Bloodshot aka Ray Garrison was a character from Valiant comic books (and no it's not part of DC or Marvel). So I did not have any idea whatsoever what kind of character we would be seeing. However, the name Vin Diesel was enough to make me intrigued, even if I had not seen this movie's trailer at all previously.

And when my wife and I saw the first 10 minutes, we were quite satisfied with what we saw. We thought the action sequence were awesomely done, with few slow motion scenes to make us feel excited. Plus the sound effects were absolutely wonderful, enhanced by the Dolby Atmos system in the theater. It was certainly a nice experience. However, as the story progressed, somehow my wife and I could have suspected the outcome, but I was quite delighted that I was unable to guess how it would be done. I actually thought the twist was pretty clever, even if it was not the really best one.

This movie had a duration of only 109 minutes which was pretty short for a film based on comic book nowadays, especially when it was a superhero origin story. But somehow I felt it was just the perfect duration. I mean it's obviously not a real dark like DC or high quality like Marvel's but it was simple enough to make it intriguing. The action sequence was definitely the highlight of this movie, with Vin Diesel showing us once more how good he is as an action star (though few times my wife and I could have mistaken him for playing in the Fast and Furious movies, particularly when he was wearing that sleeveless T-shirt). Other cast were quite OK too, but the one that really caught our attention was Lamorne Morris (New Girl TV series etc) as Wilfred Wigans. Despite not having that much screen time, he managed to provide some needed humor in this film.

The special effects were also pretty well done. It was actually quite surprising considering the movie did not have a huge budget for superhero genre. There were also some super intense moments during the climax which I thought would satisfy action (or Vin Diesel's) fans. Btw, there was no mid or post end credit scenes at all in here, which was a bit of a let down for me personally. Perhaps the director want to differentiate his works from other superheroes films. Oh before I forgot, the movie was categorized for 17+ in Indonesia which was funny cause the US put it under PG-13, so should be safe enough for teens. Perhaps Indonesian censorship body found some scenes a bit troublesome for young audience, although if you see the entire movie, I don't think it was really that hugely violent.

Anyway, if you are looking for a cool action movie of the origin story of one superhero from comic book that might be a bit unfamiliar but interesting enough, then you should definitely give this a try. As long as you are not expecting the highest quality film from superhero genre, then this one should be fantastic for you. With some really intense action sequence and good enough performance from Vin Diesel, this movie did entertain us. But I also realize it might not be so for those looking for the most intelligent script which would explain the low critical ratings and likely would not turn out to be a big box office hit. It's too bad though as I would have liked to see Vin Diesel returning as Bloodshot.  

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment