Sunday, October 9, 2022

Werewolf by Night - A Surprisingly Violent but Really Stylish & Entertaining TV Special in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

During the weekend staycation with my wife, I watched this TV special after finding out it was already released on Disney+. However, as I began rather late, I was unable to finish it then and only managed to do so this morning. Usually I would be writing it the next day, but I could not wait to do it immediately. All right, I'll get to it now.

Brief Story Line

When the monster hunter leader Uysses Bloodstone died, his wife Verussa (Harriet Sansom Harris - Desperate Housewives TV series etc) called other hunters including Jack Russel (Gael Garcia Bernal - Old, Mozart in the Jungle TV series etc) to join in a deadly hunt to find the next leader. The winner of this monster hunt would be given the powerful bloodstone weapon previously held by Uysses.

Aside from Jack and few other hunters, Ulysses estranged daughter Elsa (Laura Donnelly - The Nevers TV series, The Program etc) also joined in the last minute.

So who would win this hunt? You can find out in this movie.

End of Brief Story Line

Now that was one of the most entertaining TV movies I had seen and definitely a great addition in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Even though there did not seem to be direct correlation to the other heroes/anti heroes, but I am pretty excited if it's going to be part of them in the future. From the beginning I already had a feeling it was going to be stylish, especially with the black and white colour (except for the red bloodstone) and the fonts usually used in the old movies to add a classic feel. There was even a fun little "effect" in the 31st minute that gave a stronger feel of old films.

Aside from the cinematography, I also liked the character Jack who started off as dark & mysterious but after a while began to show his lighter side, and Elsa who was really intriguing. I thought both Gael Garcia and Laura Donnelly were pretty awesome in portraying them. In addition, there were other support cast as the hunters but I thought only Kirk R. Thatcher as Jovan who stood out (probably because he was the one given more dialogue scenes). 

But the best thing of it all was definitely the surprising twist and the action. Since I knew nothing of the comics this was based on, the twist really came as a shocking revelation to me, although I should have probably known better. Meanwhile the action was top notch. It was really violent but stylish at the same time and unlike anything I have ever seen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies/series. It actually reminded me a bit of the movie 300. This is probably just a taste of what is in store in the future of MCU (Maybe Deadpool 3 with Wolverine is just the start of many more). 

The duration of only 53 minutes did not feel too short for a TV special. The ending was very stylish as well to my opinion which made me more in awe of the directing by Michael Giacchino. He was more experienced in doing musical scores (and won numerous awards) for Disney and Pixar movies such as Ratatouille, Up, Coco & many other films. So it was pretty amazing seeing how he was able to make this kind of film. Btw, there was no mid or post end credit scene at all. Overall this was really enjoyable for me and I am hopeful there would be more of the story in future. Fans of MCU can certainly give this a try, but just need to be ready for the uncharacteristic violence.

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment