Saturday, March 19, 2022

Windfall - Interesting Psychological Thriller Lacking a bit of Intensity but Having Pretty Awesome Ending

Like any other Fridays in the past few months, I was looking forward to new movies released on Netflix. This time I opted to see this film which seemed to have an interesting premise. So let's find out more.

Brief Story Line

An unknown man (Jason Segel - How I Met Your Mother TV series, Sex Tape etc) was trying to rob an empty rich man's vacation home. Unfortunately for him, the owners suddenly arrived for holiday.

The husband (Jesse Plemons - Antlers, The Power of the Dog etc) and his wife (Lily Collins - Emily in Paris TV series, Pride, Prejudice and Zombies etc) were shocked and held captive by the robber.

So what would happen to them and how would the story conclude? Find them all in this movie.

End of Brief Story Line

This movie started off with scenes that focused on panoramic views. It seemed like the director Charlie McDowell (The One I love etc) wanted to focus on visuals which felt quite strong especially with frequent no dialogue scenes throughout the movie. I am unfamiliar with his prior works so could not tell if it is his style or just his preference in here. Interestingly, there was a bit of Hitchcock feel in the movie.

When the home owners appeared and the conversation started, I thought the film felt more alive. Their interaction was interesting and I was really intrigued of how it would end. However, after some time, I began to feel that the movie lacked the intensity I was hoping for, especially when a robber was holding people captive. Not until the last twenty minutes or so that the story seemed to gain a bit of momentum, where it made me even more curious with the conclusion.

The good thing about this movie was definitely the astonishing ending which I did not see coming. I had one or two ideas of the way it would end, so it was nice that I could still be surprised. Without such ending though, I think it would be disappointing for me. It looked like critics were not too satisfied with the movie but they did not look down on it either. I think they were still impressed by the performance of the cast. Peesonally I think they were OK, in particular Jesse Plemons who really suit his character. Jason Segel provided a mature performance completely different from his days during HIMYM or other comedy movies. Btw, in the opening credit I noticed Segel's name as one of the Story writer, and he was also co-producers with Plemons, Collins and few others.

For a movie that seemingly has short duration (92 minutes including closing credits that did not have any mid or end credit scenes) this still felt a bit long. Perhaps because of no real suspense. I guess it was more like psychological thriller heavy on the drama side. It's not that this movie was bad, in fact it was pretty entertaining if you like this sort of thing. However, it might be more satisfying for me if it has more intensity. So if you want to give it a try, you are definitely welcome. 

Mike's Movie Moments Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment