Saturday, March 5, 2022

The Weekend Away - Pretty Intriguing Light Mystery Drama Movie with Multiple Twists and Turns

Somehow I did not notice about this movie that was released on Netflix on Thursday, until my wife asked if I had watched it. So I gave it a try last night as mystery thriller usually always intrigued me. And here's more on the film.

Brief Story Line 

Beth (Leighton Meester - Gossip Girl TV series, The Roommate etc) went to Croatia to have a weekend getaway with her best friend Kate (Christina Wolfe) while leaving her husband Rob (Luke Norris - Poldark TV series etc) and their newborn baby at home.

However, things turned awry for Beth when after spending the night at a club, she could not remember anything and Kate was missing. With the help from the taxi driver Zain (Ziad Bakri), Beth went across the city to look for Kate. Beth also decided to report to the police, although the detective in charge Pavic (Amar Bukvić) did not take her too seriously.

So what actually happened to Kate and how would the story conclude? You can find them all in this thriller mystery drama movie.

End of Brief Story Line

Now this movie was supposed to be fun with its multiple twists along the way. However, I think I was not concentrating enough during the movie as I did not really get into the guessing game from the beginning and just went with the flow. Hence when I got to the first twist, I was not that surprised and somehow the subsequent twists were not too shocking either, although there was one that I did not see coming. However, the final twist was easy to guess if we saw the various surprises since the start. My wife who watched this film later than I did as she was watching another movie last night, could smell it early. We also had a short discussion about the movie where we came to the same conclusions of the real culprit due to the same reasoning.

The movie had a short duration of around 91 minutes which included closing credits and no mid or post end credit scenes at all. It was based on a novel of the same title written by Sarah Anderson and directed by Kim Farrant (Strangerland, Angel of Mine etc). This film did not feel dark and too suspenseful, but it was quite fast paced with the many twists and turns. It was categorized for 16+ due to sex and substances.

The lead star Leighton Meester performed her role quite well and she was convincing as a new mom with her worry on her best friend looked genuine. Funnily enough, she was not the one that I was familiar with despite her vast portfolio. I had only seen Christina Wolfe as she played in several episodes in Batwoman TV series (although I did not realize it until I see her past appearances on the internet). The rest of the support characters were completely unknown to me, but it was nice to see they cast Croatian actor/actresses like Amar Bukvić or Iva Mihalic as Pavic's partner detective Kovac and Adrian Pezdirc as the owner of the place Beth and Kate stayed in. 

Overall this was a pretty interesting thriller movie. It has various twists which were not too shocking but should be intriguing enough for those looking for film with mystery to solve and a bit of standard family drama. So if you want to spend 1.5 hour of your time to watch something like this, then you are welcome to give it a try. As long as you do not expect a really top notch, highly complicated murder mystery movie with many layers of deception, you should be able to enjoy this.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3 out of 5 stars  

No comments:

Post a Comment