Saturday, April 15, 2023

65 - Not too Awesome Action Sci-Fi Movie but Still Had Some Entertaining Value

When this movie was released few days ago in Indonesia, I was quite busy with work and unable to see it. Yesterday I decided to see it by myself as my wife was feeling tired after going out all day. The film was actually not a brand new one as it was already released in other countries last month, but since the plot was something I am interested in, I was still intrigued by it. OK, let's get right to it.

Brief Story Line

In the planet Somaris, Mills (Adam Driver - The Last Duel, House of Gucci etc) who was a pilot for transport airship decided to go for a 2 year trip to a faraway location. On his way back, the ship was hit by asteroid and stranded on earth 65 million years ago. As he was scouting the area, Mills found there was only 1 other survivor, a young girl named Koa (Ariana Greenblatt).

Mills later found out there was an escape shuttle in quite a distance, so he decided to bring along Koa to save themselves. However they had to avoid being killed by dinosaurs roaming the area.

So what would happen to them? You could find out in this movie.

End of Brief Story Line

Like other science fiction action movies, this one relied on the intensity of men fighting against beasts. This time it was in the form of dinosaurs that exist 65 million years ago on earth. Now when I saw the trailer earlier, I had something completely different in my mind of how the characters were stranded on earth during that time, which made me curious of how they plan to return home. But apparently it was a little bit simpler than that. I should have probably noticed if I read the tagline properly.

The main attraction from this movie was definitely how Mills had to protect the little girl from the dinosaurs with a bit of drama on the unexpectedly a bit warm relationship between them. For me the movie felt suspenseful which was kind of obvious when two persons were being chased by savage dinosaurs like the raptors and T-Rex. With pretty good special effects and sound effects, the intensity was felt quite strong and I enjoyed it. Only thing that was a bit lacking would be the duration of 93 minutes which I felt was too short, although there might not be any further story to tell anyway. 

Adam Driver was pretty standard here as he portrayed a family man with fatherly instinct, but I got to hand it to the young Ariana who looked convincing as this young girl stranded with few scenes where she looked refreshing. In addition to the two main cast, there were additional minor characters of Mills' wife (Nika King - Euphoria TV series etc) and daughter Nevine (Chloe Coleman - Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, My Spy etc) to give a bit of that dramatic feel. It is directed by Scott Beck and Bryan Woods who were co-writer for that hit movie A Quite Place. I also noticed in the closing credit there was a familiar name of Sam Raimi as one of the producers. Btw, there was no post end credit scene but during the closing credit, there was a bit of interesting scene that had no impact on the story.

Overall I think this was a pretty interesting action sci-fi movie that felt a bit like combination of Jurassic Park and Alien albeit with a much simpler story. It was quite intense with decent effects, not so spectacular but provided the desired effect for audience. I myself did enjoy this one though I did not consider it to be totally amazing or awesome. Just enough entertainment for a short 90 minutes, give or take. I read the critics were not too impressed and even audiences did not seem to appreciate. But if you are just looking for a bit of fun, this should fit into the category.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment