Friday, July 24, 2020

Desperados - Sadly not Fun for Drama Comedy and Lacking Real Chemistry

As a follow up to the comedy movie I watched 2 nights ago, I continued it by watching this romantic comedy film that I thought would be interesting, even though the plot was a bit familiar. OK I'll just get on with it now.

Brief Story Line

Encouraged by her two best friends Brooke (Anna Camp - Pitch Perfect 3, True Blood TV series etc) and Kaylie (Sarah Burns - Enlightened TV series etc), Wesley Darya (Nasim Pedrad - Aladdin 2019 live version etc) went on a date with a guy named Sean (Lamorne Morris - Bloodshot etc). However things did not work out well and instead Wes met a guy who she thought was perfect named Jared (Robbie Amell - The Babysitter, The Tomorrow People TV series etc). 


Due to some sort of misunderstanding, Wes sent a really nasty email to Jared only to find out later that it was not what she thought. Terrified of ruining the relationship with Jared, Wes convinced Brooke and Kaylie to accompany her to go to Mexico and delete the email in his laptop.

With so many obstacles she had to face, Wes had to find the best way to "complete her mission". And how would the story conclude? You can find them all in this movie.

End of Brief Story Line

From the start of this movie, somehow I had a feeling that I would not be able to enjoy it a lot, especially when I watched the first few minutes. I did not find the jokes funny and when Wes met with her two best friends, I was not really impressed. Not sure why but the three of them were not convincing as 3 best friends. They seemed to lack the real chemistry. 

The plot itself was not something new, i.e retrieving something that was not supposed to be sent out (the famous Road Trip starring Breckin Meyer, Sean William Scott and Amy Smart was the first that came to mind). However, while that one was enjoyable to watch, this one somehow was not as fun. During the trip to Mexico, we could find the mishaps Wes, Brooke and Kaylie had to endure (in particular Wes), but again I found it hard to laugh as they did not seem to be particularly funny. There were probably only few times that I at least could smile. 

The best part of this movie I thought was during the time when Wes was bonding with Sean, though it made me think that probably the movie would be better if classified as drama and gave it a more serious tone? I am not sure how it should be rectified, but suffice to say, I was not too impressed with the movie. The ending was quite predictable though I did not expect more as usually this kind of movie would have similar style and the journey was supposed to be the main attraction. Alas it was not that entertaining.

Again I am not usually very critical in this kind of genre but I felt there should be more to it. For a film with duration of around 1 hour 45 minutes (including closing credit which did not have any mid or post end credit scene), it just did not give me the satisfied feeling. Oh for such movie, I also thought that a good musical background would probably be fitting, but they did not have such either. The cast did little to make me like the movie too. Btw, there was a brief performance of Heather Graham (The Hangover, Horns etc) which sadly add no value to this film. 

Overall there was nothing much else to say. While I may not be as harsh as the professional critics who has strong negative opinion of this movie, I still could not enjoy it as much as the general audience (who seemed to like it as it was one of the most popular movie on Netflix). So if you are looking for good rom-com or comedy drama movie, this one probably would not be to your liking. However, you could always give it a try and possibly be one of those Netflix users who seemed to like it. The choice is yours.

Mike's movie moments rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment