Saturday, September 15, 2018

The Humanity Bureau - An Average Not Memorable Science Fiction Action Movie

Yesterday there was a new movie premiered exclusively in the largest cinema chain in Indonesia. As I have seen almost all the latest movies, I decided to give this one a chance. It was a Nicolas Cage movie which nowadays usually are B class movie. But this film caught my attention as the synopsis from the cinema website seemed to hint something interesting. More details on the movie below.

Brief Story Line

When the earth suffered the effects from global warming, some of the Midwest American area were in panic and having recession. To resolve it, the government had formed a new agency named The Humanity Bureau to identify the non-productive people and exile them to an area called New Eden. Noah Kross (Nicolas Cage - Teen Titans! to the Movies, Ghost Rider etc) was one of the best agents assigned to verify such cases. 


However his usual strictness was challenged when he seemed to have doubted his latest case file of a single mother Rachel Weller (Sarah Lind - The Exorcism of Molly Hartley, True Justice TV series etc) and her son Lucas (Jakob Davies). He even tried to delay the decision to send them to New Eden. This made his friend/superior in the bureau Adam (Hugh Dillon - Durham County TV series etc) to suspect his motive and loyalty.

As Noah became more attached with the Wellers and he suspect something on the New Eden, he had to make a choice of saving this small family or be the reliable agent as he had always been.

End of Brief Story Line

This movie was having a quite slow pace and it was a bit hard to avoid the boredom especially the earlier part. I even dozed off few seconds in the middle part and only towards the last thirty minutes or so that my eyes were wide awake again. I saw this movie by myself as I worry it might not be to my wife's liking, so I did not have the pleasure of her elbowing me to wake up. LOL.

Anyway I mentioned above that I was quite intrigued with the synopsis as I thought it would have some mystery and thrill with some actions. But it turned out that the mystery was not a lot and the thrilling moments were only towards the end. There were few twists but not really difficult to guessed. However, the scenes before the ending were quite surprising to me as I did not really see that coming. The action scenes were brief and only a few which did not leave too much impression anyway. 

The cast of this movie were pretty average, but somehow I found that Jakob Davies who played the boy was quite memorable. In fact I thought he might as well be the scene-stealer (his scenes with Nicolas Cage during the interview was quite amusing). The rest of them were not really memorable to my personal view.

One thing that I noticed was poorly done were the driving scenes. You could see clearly the scenery behind the car was not real, like the way it was done in the old movies. There were not a lot of effects in the movie as the future was said to be not too distant (hence no imaginative flying cars or other things that we would normally see in other science fiction movies). The sound effects were good during the car chase and the shootings.

In the end this was just an average science fiction action film with nothing special. I did not have any favorite moments from the movie and it was something that I think would not resonate to audiences as well. If you are looking for a good movie of such, I would recommend you to see other films. But if you are intrigued and just want to find out the story, I still would not recommend to see this movie. So if you still decide to see this, then you are welcome to do so at your own risk.

Mike's movie moments rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment