Monday, November 16, 2020

(TV SERIES) Truth Seekers Season 1 - Interesting and Fun for a Comedy-Horror Series

I was interested with the series ever since it was promoted a little while ago. The combination of Nick Frost and Simon Pegg was the main attraction for me and finally I got the chance to watch it during last weekend. So here goes.

Brief Story Line

Gus Roberts (Nick Frost - The Huntsman: Winter's War, Paul etc) was an expert broadband installer working for a large broadband corporation called Smyle under his boss Dave (Simon Pegg - Ready Player One, Mission: Impossible movies etc). During his spare time, Gus would sometimes do paranormal investigation and had his own show on youtube called Truth Seeker. He also lived with his dad Richard (Malcolm McDowell - Bombshell, Franklin & Bess TV series etc) 

When he was asked to mentor a new employee named Elton (Samson Kayo) and despite his early resistance, Gus would find Elton to be great help. Elton himself was living with his sister Helen (Susie Wokoma - Crazyhead TV series etc). Meanwhile, a mysterious woman later revealed to be Astrid (Emma D'Arcy) who was haunted by ghosts, accidentally met with Gus and Elton. Obviously Gus being self declared paranormal investigator would be intrigued to help Astrid.

So what would happen to them? Find them all in this entertaining series.

End of Brief Story Line

I mentioned above that the combination of Nick Frost and Simon Pegg was the one that made me interested in watching this. I still remember when both of them were in the movie Hot Fuzz (first time I saw them together) and I was so entertained. My wife and I watched that film few times when it was quite frequently shown on cable TV and we could still laugh out loud everytime. Anyway, this time Simon Pegg seemed to be taking a back seat while Nick Frost took the center stage, but despite his briefer screen time, Pegg still managed to give few laughs for me as well.

This series was classified as horror comedy and honestly I thought the horror part was done seriously. Sometimes the eerie feeling were enhanced by few horrifying images. But after almost half, I found that the horror was less terrifying but still entertaining. The plot gotten more complex as the story progressed with every character seemed to be having their own problems. And this was what made the series truly interesting.

Classified as comedy series, the first season only consisted of 8 episodes with duration of 24 to 32 minutes. Almost in each episode we were shown a case that Gus and Elton tried to solve. My favorite episodes were 2nd, 3rd and 6th (by far the scariest of them all). Oh and the comedy/humor here were funny for me. I really love Samson Kayo's character Elton in here (his name in particular) plus his "unique" ability. I also love Nick Frost and his chemistry with Elton. Malcolm McDowell also provided nice moments, while the rest were quite good as well. 

Overall this was a fun series which I thought managed to properly combine the horror and comedy side. Those who love Nick Frost and Simon Pegg (who were co-creators with James Serafinowicz and Nat Saunders) should enjoy this series. The ending certainly suggested there would be a second season and hopefully it would be renewed (by the time I write this, the status was still pending). Reminder though that because it is a horror-comedy and some horrifying images exist, it might be a bit disturbing if you only want to watch comedy series. So just be ready for those if you want to give this a try.

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment