Tuesday, September 20, 2022

(TV SERIES) The Imperfects Season 1 - A Fun Series with Engaging Story & Characters

During my 2 weeks vacation early this month, I did not really have time to see new movies/series as I was always outside and when I got back to hotel, usually my wife and I were too tired and just spent our time taking a rest. On my last day though, I started to watch this series on Netflix that was released a week before, which I felt very interesting and managed to finish it on Sunday night. So I'll just get to it then.

Brief Story Line

A group of young people who were test subjects of medical experiments since 7 years before, started to experience changes in their bodies after their medication was stopped abruptly. They were Tilda (Morgan Taylor Campbell) the lead singer of a band, Abbi Singh (Rhianna Jagpal) a brilliant researcher, and Juan Ruiz (IƱaki Godoy) a college student and comic book writer. All of them went to look for the scientist Dr. Alex Sarkov (comedian Rhys Nicholson) who performed these experiments.

When Dr. Sarkov went missing, the group tried to locate him so they could be "fixed". They were joined by Sarkov's partner Dr. Sidney Burke (Italia Ricci - Designated Survivor TV series etc) who was also trying to find solution so they could be normal. Things got further complicated when a mysterious woman named Isabel Finch (Kyra Zagorsky - Helix TV series etc) was also looking for Sarkov for unknown reason. 

So what would happen to these young people as they went on their quest to become human again? You can find them all in this exciting series. 

End of Brief Story Line

After weeks of not watching new series, I was glad that I opted to watch this one as it was really entertaining for me. As I said in my previous posts, the first episode of a new series would always be the kick starting point and in this case, it immediately gave me the excited feeling and intrigued by its plot. It was certainly helped by the smooth introduction to the main characters who were all engaging. From the don't care attitude Tilda, the brainy Abbi and youngest Juan with his major crush on Tilda, they made the series really interesting.

Obviously the part that made me hooked was the transformation they experienced as each one was very unique and made them became a bit like people with power. And the subsequent episodes were fun to watch as well, as we see them evolve as the story progressed. The additional characters also made the series more enjoyable. One thing though as I reached episode 3, I actually felt there were a bit too many parties involved. However, their integration was done nicely that it did not feel like overcrowding.

To my amazement, when I watched the opening and closing credits, I did not see any reference of this series. Hence the series creator Shelley Eriksen & Dennis Heaton (creator of The Order TV series and executive producer of Ghost Wars TV series) must be applauded for their work in here. Both of them also wrote and directed the first and second episodes. Of all the 10 episodes which had roughly 40-45 minutes, my favorites were episode 5 (though that twist was a bit predictable), episode 6 for obvious reasons that you would understand once you watch it and the final episode which gave plenty of exciting things to look forward to in (hopefully) second season. 

I have not seen any of the the main cast before (not even Italia Ricci cause I have not watched Designated Survivors yet), but I thought they performed their roles wonderfully. Rhys Nicholson was also perfect playing as Dr. Sarkov. Oh apart from the names above, there were also other people who appeared quite frequently, i.e. Celina Martin as one of the test subjects Hannah and Jedidiah Goodacre as Tilda's boyfriend PJ. Despite Netflix categorize this as action & adventure, it was not a heavily action-focused series. The main attraction was on the story of these characters as they tried to find ways to become human again, despite all their challenges. Btw, it was categorized for 18+ due to violence and language, so just need to be ready for them.

Overall this series was a really exciting and interesting one. It has a bit of drama on the characters but not so heavy that made this one as dramatic series. There were some adventures and a bit of action plus it was filled with lots of dark humor and comedy that made me chuckled few times. The story was engaging with characters whom you would have emotional attachment with. And the ending was pretty satisfying to me with some surprises along the way. So if you are looking for a new exciting series about young people struggling with transformations on their bodies due to some experiments and the aftermath of what they experienced, then this would be really suitable for you. I myself enjoyed this series and wish for a second season.

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment