Sunday, February 28, 2021

(TV SERIES) Tribes of Europa Season 1 - Not Your Average Sci-Fi Post Apocalyptic Series

This weekend there were a bunch of new movies and series on various streaming platforms and cable TV, but after browsing through them, I opted to watch this one which was released more than a week ago. The premise was interesting for me and I was intrigued by the trailer as well. OK without further ado, I'll get right on it.

Brief Story Line

After a catastrophic event in 2029, European countries fell apart and the people created their own tribes to survive. One of those were the Origines who were living by themselves, separated from the rest of the world. However their peaceful lives were disturbed when Liv (Henriette Confurius - Beloved Sisters etc) with her brothers Kiano (Emilio Sakraya) and the youngest Ejia (David Ali Rashed) came across a mysterious cube said to have the best technology and also the subject of various tribes pursue.

The savage Crows tribe with one of their ruthless Lord Varvara (Melika Foroutan), led their armies to get the cube by killing everyone in their path. Meanwhile the Crimson Republic who wanted to keep peace in Europa also tried to get their hands of the cube before the Crows. Their soldiers were led by General David Voss (Robert Finster) who had always seen the Crows as their ultimate enemy. Things got further complicated when a scavanger who called himself Moses (Oliver Masucci - Dark TV series etc) found out about the cube which was very valuable in the black market.

So what would happen to Liv, Kiano and Ejia who were caught in the middle of the tribes war and what was the cube's secret? Find them all in this exciting first season of an interesting sci-fi series.

End of Brief Story Line

I said above that I was intrigued after watching the trailer which seemed to promise some science fiction and action. I am delighted to say that it was quite as expected. The series has all of those attributes but with something extra and frankly quite surprised me, the heavy violence. I think it might be a bit more violent compared to similar series (not that I am complaining).

When I watched the early part of the series which was told in the post-apocalyptic world (used so many times in various series/movies), I could not help feeling a bit of deja vu, especially with the various savage tribes fighting for dominance. However, what set this one apart was the captivating story of the three siblings. Their stories were truly amazing and I was really in awe by the wonderful story telling of the 3 of them with their own experience. 

I thought the young cast did their job wonderfully. Henriette was convincing as the eldest sister who wanted to protect her brothers, while David Ali Rashed was quite fantastic as the youngest and obviously lacking the maturity. But my heart really goes for Kiano (performed amazingly by Emilio Sakraya) whose journey was probably the toughest and I believed has the biggest character development. I also like Melike Foroutan who played this complex character Lord Varvara. Oh, let's not forget Oliver Masucci who was really charming in here and played a completely different character from his role in Dark

The special effects were quite decent with some nice music. The language spoken was mostly German but quite frequently English were used as there were other European tribes. The first season consisted only 6 episodes which were totally packed with drama, action and some interesting story developments. The season finale was totally the best which set up for a really mouth watering second season (if indeed they renew it). Btw there was no reference to any books, movies whatsoever, which would mean it's an original series. Oh this also became the 3rd German series that I have watched and I got to say I am quite loving them.

Overall I was satisfied watching this series. Even though the premise might seem to be familiar for people who love such genre, but the story was really good and the cast did their jobs wonderfully, making this a worthy series to at least be given a try. I myself was entertained by it and glad to have the chance to watch it. Here's hoping there would be a second season, otherwise it would be just another Netflix series that was cancelled after only one season leaving us with the irritated feel of not having the conclusion.

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment