Sunday, April 10, 2022

(2022) The Contractor - An Action Thriller Movie with too Much Emphasis on Drama Side

After unable to see this movie on its release day, I finally got to see it yesterday. As I am not sure about the quality or whether my wife was going to like it, I decided to see it first by myself. So here's more on the movie.  

Brief Story Line

When James Harper (Chris Pine - Wonder Woman 1984, The Finest Hours etc) was discharged from the military due to some health issue, he was facing financial problems. After various consideration, James later asked his army buddy Mike (Ben Foster - Inferno, The Messenger etc) for some private military contractor work ran by Rusty (Kiefer Sutherland - Flatliners 2017 remake, Designated Survivors TV series etc).

Despite the reluctance from his wife Brianne (Gillian Jacobs - Fear Street Part 2: 1978Life of the Party etc), James decided to go ahead with the mission in Germany as it would relief their family's problem. However, what seemed to be a simple job turned out to be more dangerous than they thought it would be.

So how would this end for James and his family? Find them all in this action drama movie.

End of Brief Story Line

I caught a glimpse of this movie's trailer more than a week before and thought it seemed like a cool enough action film. Plus I also quite like Chris Pine as his previous movies were usually entertaining. When I saw this movie, I felt that the early part was quite slow which was fine as I thought some movies tend to start slowly anyway. However, after being shown in detail what James Harper experienced, I became a bit impatient, especially as it took very long to get to the interesting part.

When the mission finally started, the movie became more entertaining with some intense action. Sadly though after some nice suspenseful scenes, the movie slowed the pace again and it took a while before it pick up the pace. This actually made the film less enjoyable to me personally. For a seemingly action-packed thriller film as suggested by its trailer, this one was not satisfying for me at all due to its inconsistent pace. I have no problem with the story as it was pretty standard and I have seen worse, and the action was really not bad. But if the detail was lessen a bit and more action were given, I would likely be happier.  

This movie was directed by Tarik Saleh in his English language feature debut. His directing style on the action was not disappointing. Chris Pine admirably gave his best in here, though I could not really say for other cast as they were unimpressive. Also sad to see Kiefer Sutherland in this unmemorable role. Aside from the names I mentioned, there was also the familiar face of Eddie Marsan (Wrath of a Man, Ray Donovan TV series etc). 

Overall this is a movie which might be more suitable classified as action drama rather than action thriller. It did not have enough thrill and the action was scarce, with focus on what the lead character had to face as a former military personnel having financial issues. It has predictable story and despite having well enough action sequence, it fail to satisfy me with the lack of them. I doubt my wife is going to enjoy this one and I think she would be really bored as well. So if you are planning to see a full action movie in the cinema, you might not be satisfied with this. However if you want to see some drama with quite deep character development, then you might like this one. The choice is yours.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3 out of 5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment