Saturday, April 16, 2022

Choose or Die - An Interesting Horror Thriller Movie with Reference to 80s Interactive Game

Like any other Friday, yesterday there were new movies and series released on various streaming platforms. And I chose to watch this one on Netflix before the others. All right, let's head to it then.

Brief Story Line

When a young woman named Kayla (Iola Evans) found an interactive 80s game called CURS<R in the house of her friend Isaac (Asa Butterfield - Sex Education TV series, Hugo etc) which offered huge reward, she did not hesitate to install and tried to play it. To her surprise though, the game somehow managed to become real with everything around her.

As the game threaten to endanger her life and her friends & family, Kayla must finish it fast before anything happened to them.

So how would the story conclude? Find them all in this horror thriller film.

End of Brief Story Line

I was intrigued to watch this movie when I saw the short premise written on Netflix, especially with retro 80s interactive game that I used to play back then. Anyway I thought the story started off quite brightly and also excited me. Throughout the game play, I actually felt it was quite intense especially with the bigger threat as the level increased, till the finale which I thought was clever enough. Definitely not as bad as some of the comments mentioned in various places, including the very poor reviews by critics.

I have never seen the lead female cast Iola Evans before, but I thought she was OK. Asa Butterfield provided his usual charm. Other cast here included Angela Griffin (Coronation Street TV series etc) as Kayla's mother, Eddie Marsan (The Contractor etc) as Hal, the first person who found the game, Kate Fleetwood (The Wheel of Time TV series etc) as Hal's wife and Robert Englund (Freddy Krueger in Nightmare on Elm Street movies) who provided some interesting nostalgic feel. It was directed by Toby Meakins in his directorial debut.

For a horror thriller movie, there was the intriguing part of finding out the truth about the game (even if it was a bit simplistic) and few scary part which might not be too successful if you are only terrified by supernatural beings. However, there was one jump scare scene that managed to surprised me big time, probably because I fail to see it coming. One thing that disappoint me was the end of one of the level, but other than that, I felt it was pretty entertaining with a game which was very twisted and even disturbing.

Overall to me this was still an interesting horror thriller movie. It is not a big budget Hollywood film as I understand it's a British production (although the car's driver seat is on the left side which was weird considering it was on the other side in England). It has a short duration of 84 minutes which was sufficient to cover the story and it even had an ending that seemed to hint a possible continuity if they want to do it. But looking at the critical performance and the not so well audience views, I think the chance would be very slim if not zero. So if you are looking for a horror thriller with reference to 80s type of interactive game, then you can give this a try. However, if you believe more on what critics say, then better to avoid it. The choice is yours.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment