Monday, October 28, 2019

(TV SERIES) Blood & Treasure Season 1 - A Quite Standard Treasure Hunt Adventure Series

When I read the brief synopsis of this series, it immediately interest me and I did not hesitate to give it a try. I started watching this last week but even though it was only 13 episodes, I could only finished last night. Well what was the series about? Let us find out more below.

Brief Story Line

A former FBI agent Danny McNamara (Matt Barr - Hellcats, Valor TV series etc) who now worked as a person specializing in repatriating stolen art was asked to find the famous tombs of Anthony and Cleopatra. To do so, he enlisted the help from an art thief Lexi Vaziri (Sofia Pernas - The Brave TV series etc) who Danny believed would provide great assistance. However, Danny and Lexi would find the task very dangerous as a ruthless terrorist named Karim Farouk (Oded Fehr - The Mummy, Resident Evil series etc) was also trying to get the tombs for his planned terror attack. It was further complicated when a group of secret organization called Brotherhood of the Serapis seemed intent to find the tombs as well.


With the support from Interpol Agent Gwen Karlsson (Katia Winter - Sleepy Hollows TV series etc) Danny and Lexi tried their best to get to the tombs first. During their adventure all across the world, they also met with people who had some roles in their path to find the tombs such as arms dealer Aiden Shaw (Michael James Shaw), international smuggler Simon Hardwick (James Callis - Battlestar Galactica TV series, Bridget Jones' Diary etc), an expert in Cleopatra named Dr. Ana Castilo (Alicia Coppola - National Treasure: Book of Secrets etc) and Danny's old friend Father Chuck (Mark Gagliardi).

So how would the story conclude? Find them all in this rather chaotic but quite fun treasure hunt series.

End of Brief Story Line

After seeing the pilot episode which had a long duration of > 80 minutes, I was a bit doubtful if I should continue watching. To be honest, I found the pilot too chaotic and the editing seemed to be done in a rush, giving me a sense of a bit of confusion and frankly it disinterested me a little. It was not helped by the fact that the two main cast did not seem to have a nice enough chemistry in that first episode.

But then I thought I should give the series a chance cause it seemed to be successful enough and was renewed for a second season. So I continued watching and as I reached the third episode, I thought there was a bit of improvement, although I was still a bit cautious. Only when I reached episode 6 that I finally felt the chemistry between Danny and Lexi more realistic. It was also the episode where I changed my mind about Lexi whom at first I did not really like especially her attitudes towards Danny.

Of all the episodes that I saw, the ones I loved the most were the final two episodes. They were a thrill to see with some amazing unexpected twists which managed to surprise me. It was a good finale that really made me not regret spending time watching all 13 episodes. Oh I also quite liked episode 7 which was an interesting distraction. The thing that I liked about the series was the action which was pretty entertaining to see, especially whenever it involved Katia Winter who provided some cool fight scenes. The treasure hunt itself sadly felt a bit shallow. It seemed to be trying too hard to be like Indiana Jones but I think it fell short and was not truly exciting. Although the adventures in various European countries were quite interesting and made me wanted to visit those countries soon.

I mentioned earlier that I felt the chemistry between Matt Barr and Sofia Pernas was not really convincing but luckily after a while it was more believable. However, if I had to be honest, I thought the supporting characters were the ones who excited me the most. I liked the characters of Aiden Shaw and Father Chuck who provided joy whenever they appeared. James Callis as the rather creepy smuggler and Oded Fehr as the terrorist were excellent. There was also a special guest star John Larroquette as billionaire Jay Reece who showed his great talent. 

Overall I thought this series was quite fun, but it lacked a bit of the charm and excitement that I normally would feel from watching treasure hunt story. Probably it was due to the lack of chemistry between the two main lead (especially during the first half) and the rather chaotic pilot episode. Luckily it had an interesting finale and several interesting supporting cast which made the series watchable. So if you are looking for a series about treasure hunt with some twists and focused more on actions, then this one probably could satisfy you. But if you are expecting a complex treasure hunt and having charming interesting leads, then this might be a bit lacking. The choice is yours.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment