Sunday, October 27, 2019

Zombieland: Double Tap - Still a Fun Zombie Comedy Movie Though not as Spectacular as the Original

When this movie premiered on Wednesday, it did not play in my favorite Dolby Atmos theater after office hour, so my wife and I bought the tickets for the show at another cinema not far from our home. But as I was called up for an unexpected meeting at 7.30PM, and my wife was a bit hesitant to see this movie by herself, we decided to let go off the tickets and only got the chance to see this yesterday. OK, I'll just head on to the movie now.

Brief Story Line

Set 10 years after the event of the first movie, the group of survivors from zombie attacks that consisted of the 'leader' Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, The Messenger etc), the guy who had so many rules to survive, Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg - Now You See Me 2, Adventureland etc), the very independent woman Wichita (Emma Stone - La La Land, The Help etc) and her younger sister Little Rock (Abigail Breslin - Little Miss Sunshine, Maggie etc) were living in the former White House only by themselves.


When Little Rock felt bored with her life and start to search for other people by herself, the rest of them could not stay behind and began to look for her. They were joined by a young woman named Madison (Zoey Deutch - Before I Fall etc) who had been surviving on her own. They also met a kick-ass woman named Nevada (Rosario Dawson - Unforgettable, Rent etc) during their journey.

So what would happen to this group especially with the threat from a new kind of very dangerous zombies? Find them all in this fun zombie comedy movie.

End of Brief Story Line

You know, it was really a surprise to me and my wife when we realized the first movie Zombieland had been released 10 years ago. It was kind of a memorable movie for me as I loved the dynamics of this small group of totally different people who were bound by the same purpose i.e. to survive from zombie apocalypse. It was also entertaining with so many comedic moments among these people and those rules created by Columbus was also another factor that I liked.

This sequel was having similar formula with the original film whereby the group was still having a nice dynamic, and what surprised me the most was their relationship was very realistic as though they really had been living together for 10 years. The main cast performed their roles admirably since they managed to ease into their characters easily. Most likely it was due to their amazing acting capability as could be seen from the numerous awards they had been nominated and won. In addition to the original main cast, there were few additional people like Rosario Dawson and Zoey Deutch who suit their roles as well. There was also another quite well known name of Luke Evans though I did not really liked his character as he did not seem to have any big added value.

The zombie killings here were still amazingly done just like in the original. But I could not help to think that they were a bit less spectacular. I remember that the climax in the first movie was quite epic and made me in awe, however I did not sense it in here. I would have preferred it better if the climax finale was more spectacular, although the middle part was still pretty entertaining.

The special effects of this movie was still as good as before. It was great to see the zombies killed using various means. Based on this, audience should realize that the film was for adults, as it was categorized for 17+. It is definitely not a movie for kids, so it was surprising when we saw some parents bringing their young children to see the film last night, especially with many foul languages spoken during the film.

The sound effects for the movie was awesome. Dolby Atmos effects were put to maximum use and I really did not regret that I insisted on seeing this in a theater with such effect. The music was wonderful. The closing credits had a mid end credit scenes and a brief post end credit scene that you could enjoy for some laughs. This movie also made fun a bit on other well known zombie shows and a rather hilarious joke about modern apps.

Overall this was an entertaining movie, with lots of comedic situation but if I had to compare with the original, I liked that one better due to its epic climax scene. The movie was enjoyable for me and my wife even if there was a couple who sat beside me and could not stop talking with their loud voices throughout the whole movie. Luckily we could move to the other side as the seats were vacant and we could enjoy it much better after that. If you are fans of zombie comedy movie, this should be entertaining enough, but better to see the 2009 movie first so you could enjoy this one better.

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment