Saturday, October 21, 2023

No Hard Feelings - A Sex Comedy Movie that Felt More Like a Drama Comedy Movie with Some Sexual Contents

This was another movie that was released in Indonesia while I was away on holiday. And when I returned, it no longer played in the cinemas. However, two days ago the film was released via online streaming service Catchplay+ with additional price. So I decided to watch it last night. OK now here's my thoughts on the movie.

Brief Story Line

Maddie (Jennifer Lawrence - Red SparrowX-Men: Dark Phoenix   etc) was a thirty two year old single woman who had been living all her life in Montauk city. When she faced financial trouble, Maddie decided to answer an ad placed by wealthy couple Laird (Matthew Broderick - Wonder Park, Wargames etc) and Allison Becker (Laura Benanti - Supergirl TV series, Tick, Tick...Boom! etc) even though it was a weird assignment. Maddie was tasked to date and possibly had sex with Beckers' 19 year old son Percy (Andrew Barth Feldman - A Tourist's Guide to Love etc) who was very socially awkward.

So what would happen to Maddie who tried to force herself into Percy's life in order to finish her assignment as soon as possible? You could find out in this movie.

End of Brief Story Line

This movie's genre was sex comedy which obviously had raunchy humor and sexual jokes. It is very popular for fans of such type (including myself) but might not be for everyone. So I was actually kind of surprised that this film would be having cinematic release in Indonesia. But after watching the film, I could understand the reason as there were not as much of strong sexual contents as I thought would be. And there were scenes that were censored on Catchplay+ which I think would be similar to the one shown in the theater. 

Anyway the movie's plot was actually pretty interesting and it was fun enough looking at Maddie tried so hard to attract Percy even though there was a very large age gap between them. There were some funny moments when she was made fun by friends of Percy. But the most interesting part was the relationship between these two which seemed to be quite naturally developed. I thought Andrew Barth Feldman did a good job as well in portraying such character. Even though I could see where the story was headed, the ending was better than I expected. It was not so mainstream and felt more realistic to me.

The film was co-written and directed by Gene Stupnitsky whose credentials including the commercially successful Good Boys and Bad Teacher. So he was already quite experienced in making comedy movies. Aside from the cast I mentioned above, there were few support characters too like Maddie's best friend Sara (Natalie Morales - Stuber etc), Gary (Ebon Moss-Bachrach - The Punisher TV series etc) and few others. I read that critics were mixed on this movie while for me this one was OK as it had better story than most sex comedies, but it felt a bit lacking in sexual contents compared to others. And there were not many moments where I laughed out loud here.

Overall this movie would probably be better accepted by general audience as it was not full of totally senseless jokes that would disgust people or bunch of non-related nude scenes. However due to the lack of those, I think this was better classified as drama comedy with a bit of sexual content instead of sex comedy. It was quite enjoyable but not too memorable for me and not something that I would highly recommend. So if you are looking for a little fun, you can give it a try now on Catchplay+. But if your aim is to see some of those R rated scenes, then probably better wait till it is released on different platform.

Mike's movie moments rating: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment