Sunday, April 7, 2024

(TV SERIES) Parasyte: The Grey - An Entertaining Sci-fi Action Series Inspired by the Manga by Hitoshi Iwaaki

When I saw the trailer to this series in the Coming Soon section on Netflix, I was really excited as it seemed like the kind that I would have liked. So I was looking forward to the day it was released on Friday. OK here's more on the series then.

Brief Story Line

Story focused on the mysterious creatures in the form of parasite that fell on earth and started to inhibit human and took over their brain. A group of special forces called Team Grey led by Captain Choi (Lee Jung-hyun - The Battleship Island, Decision to Leave etc) was tasked to kill all the parasites. Their latest pursue brought them to the city of Namil where there seemed to be a nest of the human taken over by the parasites.

Jeong Su-in (Jeon So-nee - Soulmate, Our Blooming Youth etc) was a supermarket teller who was one of the victim attacked by the parasite but somehow survived. Meanwhile Seol Kang-woo (Koo Kyo-hwan - Kill Boksoon Monstrous TV series etc) had just returned home to Namil and was suspicious with his missing younger sister. After somehow finding out the existence of these parasites, he decided to fight them against his better judgment. 

So what would happen to all the people involved? You could find out in this series.

End of Brief Story Line

I originally hesitated to watch this when I found out it was a series instead of a movie that I thought it would be. But since it was only having 6 episodes, I decided to went ahead with it. And I was happy that I did cause it was an entertaining series with some well executed action scenes and amazing special effects. They were wonderfully created and the parasitic human looked realistic. Obviously as fan of science fiction action, these attributes really satisfied me. However, I did feel that during the non action scenes, they were not as captivating and sometimes felt a bit slow. 

Luckily the action were quite frequent and never disappoint. if I have to be critical though, I personally thought the characters were not totally engaging. Of the 3 main characters, none of them were that special to me. Su-in was too sad as a person and only great when she did those awesome things, while Captain Choi was just too stubborn sometimes and Kang-woo was aweful at first but at least he was more likable in the end. I was probably more interested in the support characters, i.e. the fatherly figure Detective Chul-min who was quite brilliantly played by Kwon Hae-hyo (Hommage, Wedding Impossible TV series etc) and his junior, Detective Won-seok (Kim In-kwon - The Cursed: Dead Man's Prey, Cold Blooded Intern TV series etc). There were also other support cast, but the only one that left a good impression was Yoon Hyun-gil (Yumi's Cell TV series etc) as Kang-woo's older sister Kyung-hee. 

During the closing credit, I noticed that the series was based on manga titled Parasyte by Hitoshi Iwaaki which I was not familiar with. It was quite surprising as I thought it would be based on South Korean webtoon like other similar series. Anyway after I completed this, I saw the Parasyte collection on Netflix which included the anime series. I tried to watch it briefly and realized it was different from this live version. But it did give me a better understanding on the very last scene of the final episode which probably had great significance if it was renewed. I was happy that the series had a good enough closure so I was quite content even if it was cancelled, although if it was continued, I would be excited as well.

Overall this was a series that would please fans of science fiction horror with its fantastic action and special effects. Having only 6 episodes with duration between 43 to 61 minutes only was also plus point for those who wanted to finish a new series in short while. It was developed and directed by Yeon Sang-ho who was no stranger to sci-fi and creatures as his portfolio included Train to Busan Jung_E and few others. So if you are interested in such kind of series, then I think you would enjoy this one. However, if you are hoping this to be the live-version of Parasite manga adaptation, then I think the two parts Japanese movies in 2014 & 2015 would be more suitable.

Mike's movie moments rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment